1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV & Auto Door Lock Mod Troubles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by msteg1, Oct 19, 2006.

1. msteg1

msteg1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    this is my first post on pc, so go easy on me. i recently purchased the ev mode and auto door lock mods from coastal. i installed both mods as per the instructions and can only seem to get one or the other to work. for example, if both are plugged in to the white wire with the black stripe, just the ev mode works. if i unplug the ev mode wire from the white wire with the black stripe, then the auto door locks work. i am stumped. any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gnrd @ Oct 19 2006, 03:32 AM) [snapback]334951[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like one of the wire taps on that wire isn't getting a good connection. I believe that wire (white with black stripe) is the ground wire. Also be sure the wire connectors actually snap into the wire tap - I had an intermittant on the door lock kit when I first installed mine because of this. I have the same two Coastal modules and they both work fine.

- Tom

3. dreichla

dreichla New Member

Agreed - Both mods work perfectly together. I installed the auto door mod first followed by the EV mod about 6 months later.

I will report, however, that I get a telltale sign that something is kooky in the system when the auto locks lock immediately after putting the car into drive (not after the 15mph limit.) When I hear that, I know MFD will not show the 5 minute mpg bars for the entire trip. It's weird and has only happened a handful of times.

4. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dreichla @ Oct 19 2006, 06:37 AM) [snapback]334959[/snapback]</div>
    I have never had that problem - I never lose the 5 minute bars or have the auto lock happen below 15 mph. When I didn't have one wire plugged in all the way, I got occasional relocking of the doors while driving. That is, I would hear the locks activate more than once. I found the problem right away when I went back in and looked at the installation.

On your system, it sounds like the speed wire (purple) has been cut and is intermittant?? That would be the first I've heard of those wire taps breaking a wire.

- Tom

5. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had the autolock wire tap cut a wire and I had to solder the wire together again. It was a pain because there is no slack when one wire is cut. I won't try to install it again. I won't risk having to take the car to the dealer for some expensive repair just to have the door lock automatically. I think the wire taps are a hit or miss. You get it right the first time or that's it. I have installed other mods including an amp and subwoofer. My auto lock is sitting at home on my desk.

6. dreichla

dreichla New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Oct 19 2006, 08:25 AM) [snapback]334975[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Tom - The wierdness has only happened a few times. And to be honest, I think it started to happen after I installed the NAV mod. My mind is going, but I think the NAV mod was strictly a plug-in module with no wire taps as all the work was done behind the MFD.

From what you say, I sure hope I didn't create a problem. I'll know the first place to check though. Thanks.

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dreichla @ Oct 19 2006, 03:37 AM) [snapback]334959[/snapback]</div>
    Same with me. I too had the doors lock immediately, but that was because I had installed a push-on/push-off button for the BT override. If I had it off when starting, then the door locked right away. Other than that there's been no problem.