1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured EV automatic data collection

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    An interesting article I spotted- AP news link

Apparently there's an EV-related law in china and some of the fine print states that EVs must transmit location and other data in real time to government agencies.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Not too dissimilar to what Tesla does. Using the Tesla app, I can watch my wife speeding down the freeway at 80 mph any time I feel like a good cringe ..... in satellite or roadmap views

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well yeah... And Google's search engine contract that employees are protesting requires all search questions to be identifiable by the searchers phone number, as well China much greater effort to give everyone a social score that earns you freedom and privilege. IF you're loyal to the government and never question it and always praise you get more freedom. If you speak out for justice or expose government and corporate crime you get sent to prison:

"Concentration camps were unanimously condemned by the world community in the last century. The unforgettable human tragedies of Nazi concentration camps and Soviet gulags taught enough lessons for humanity to vow to prevent similar tragedies from happening again. And yet under the eyes of the world, the Chinese government has deprived tens of thousands of Uyghurs – possible more than a million – of their basic rights by placing them in these sites. Every single Uyghur abroad has relatives waiting for a slow death in these camps. And according to recent research, China is accelerating its drive to build more camps in the region to accommodate more Uyghurs." Uyghurs: Victims of 21st Century Concentration Camps | The Diplomat

4. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But isn't the Tesla a pull model (your app has to ask for it) rather than a push model (the car is always sending it).
    And, in Tesla's case they are the owns who get the data.

In China, they will certainly include it in your "social credit score"
    "Good" people get benefits, like being able to book flights and trains.
    "Bad" people do not.

While I have to admit that sometimes I wish that people acting badly had to endure consequences for their actions...I never want to actually live in such a place.

Mike

Trollbait likes this.
  5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well, the article did say that Tesla is going to receive a realtime stream, and would forward it to third parties including government regulatory bodies as required.

Why would they build & code them so differently by destination? It's 2018, data collection and blurry sharing rules buried in EULA tap-wrap licenses rule the roost now. They could just stream it all back, then selectively forward where required.

hill likes this.
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    There's a movie out - rentable on YouTube, "Death of A Nation" a story told by a historian, of which I am always huge fans. One of the few subjects I excelled in with my undergraduate degree. You might want to check it out & realize how close we may be. It's definitely worth the $5.99 cost.
    ;)

PriusCamper likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, yes... I'm with 'ya on this... And because you like history, I'd encourage to read this amazing article I read yesterday... As important as the cyber crimes of 2016 really are and really do need justice and our need to focus on it, maybe we also need to be concerned about what unexpected cyber attack comes next?

After reading the article it now strangely feels like maybe we're already in the throes of the WW3 and our focus on addressing the 2016 election is a lot like France focusing only on the injustice of Germany invading Poland while still not realizing what peril they are in as the war progresses. It's a long read, but it's points are essential to where we are and where we need to better prepare: https://www.ribbonfarm.com/2018/11/28/the-digital-maginot-line

8. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    All I know about this is that when I run the Tesla app, that shows me the location of the car (along with the inside temp, etc.) it takes a minute while it says it is connecting to the car. If it was always sending a stream to the Tesla server it would happen instantly -- at least some times. But it never does.

Mike

PriusCamper likes this.
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The difference here is that China requires Tesla to also provide them the data.
    This has been possible for awhile, and isn't limited to plug ins. People do disconnect the GPS antennae for OnStar to prevent location data gathering.

10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's in China. But why only EV? Maybe, gov wanted to implant a GPS device in every People of Republic of China, but that was too hard, so they went for the easiest one first?:eek:

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's easy to attach rules to something when they're new. EVs are new, and they have a shot at being ubiquitous eventually.

Bonus: for now it's an easy way to track their wealthiest citizens, since almost anyone can afford a phone now.

Salamander_King likes this.
  12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll suggest that the article only focuses on EV... When it comes to China monitoring every activity of their citizens in every way possible, they have no equal. Tech companies like Tesla and Google and many others only get access to the Chinese consumers if they're 100% aligned with government surveillance/control activities.

3PriusMike and Salamander_King like this.
  13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Skip to 0:50

Bob Wilson

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear

15. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have OnStar service in both cars and it hasn't bothered me yet. :D

16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is always such a nonsensical claim... There's basic privacy issues for people who have "nothing to hide." For example people who have nothing to hide would clearly not enjoy a poop cam on their toilet, or a shower cam, or a camera above their bed...

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    ... yet the NSA has gathered every fax - cell, email, text, land line phone call for many years.
    Welcome to Utah, the NSA's desert home for eavesdropping on America | US news | The Guardian
    That's why mr. Snowden has been on the run for many many years, because he dropped the dime on 'em. Has anyone stopped that comprehensive eavesdropping? Apparently not enough folks are as botheted as some might think. Basic privacy? Maybe re-watch, "Enemy of the State" .... & realize, that this movie represented tech that's 2 decades old now. Think how much fancier it is now.

#17 hill, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Trollbait likes this.
  18. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, and with near unlimited information on everyone... Think of how easily you could falsely accuse or set someone up to take the blame for a crime you want to get away with? We still live in the wild west of data privacy and many lives have already been ruined, many lives have already been lost! For example: A Genocide Incited on Facebook, With Posts From Myanmar’s Military - The New York Times

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yep. Point being, the Chinese, they ain't got nothing on us. We thoroughly failed at cleaning our own house. No point at pointing fingers at the far East.

Trollbait likes this.
  20. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea, they may have prison camps with tens, if not hundreds of thousands of indigenous west asians, but in the US we have prison camps with thousands, and soon tens of thousands of immigrant children. The atrocity competition is at a fever pitch these days.