1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ev button does not work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by smontminy, May 9, 2007.

1. smontminy

smontminy New Member

Good day ,
    Have an 06' prius and today it was above 88F. I tried using the EV mode several times and could not switch to EV. I read that the system will not allow you to switch if temperature of hybrid system is too hot. I want to know at what temperature this cuts off at for future reference.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When the big traction battery gets up to somewhere around 105 degrees fahrenheit, the computer will deny EV mode. The engine is cooled by the radiator, so should never overheat. But the battery is only heated or cooled by cabin air flowing through that tiny vent in back (right) of the rear seat. So it can get hot more easily.

The stock Prius does not tell you the battery temperature, but the CAN-View does, and maybe the Scan-Gauge, though I don't know about it. Those are both after-market devices.

FWIW, the Tesla Roadster has a liquid-cooled battery pack. But Toyota never intended the Prius to be an EV.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 13 2007, 11:33 AM) [snapback]441062[/snapback]</div>
    No, not available from the SG.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The battery temp is not the only thing taken into account, the inverter as well matters. You'll note similar issues when it's very cold out.