1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV button HV ECU connector orientation?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2009Prius, Oct 2, 2010.

1. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    EV button HV ECU connector orientation?

The drawing in the EV button instruction looks different from the actual connector:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at the tabs labeled 1 and 2 in both the photo and the drawing. Which tab should face the terminal retainer? I assume #1. If so then the orientation of tab #2 in the drawing seems backwards (should face up, not down :confused:). Please advise. Thanks! :)

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hmm, not sure I paid that much attention to the orientation of the tabs on the pin. After over three years, I wouldn't remember that much detail anyway. Which pin is this, by the way? Is it from an OEM button package or are you using a home-grown approach that harvests an unused pin from the steering wheel?

Anyway, from looking at the pictures, I would try it first with tab #1 pointing toward the retainer clip as shown in the drawing. It looks like from the drawing there is enough room for tab #2 to fit in the space on the other side of the retainer. Regardless, the important things are to get the pin in and to lock the retainer. So if one orientation doesn't work, try another.

1 person likes this.
  3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks! I bought the pin used. More on that later ... got to get back to work on the mod first.

4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Quick update: tab #1 facing the retainer works! The connector slipped in nicely and gave a positive click when it locked in place. :)

My 2009 Prius does not beep when it goes into EV mode. The MFD does change into the Energy screen.

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Congratulations on the install. The important thing: Does it suppress ICE operation when it's supposed to? And do you get the 3 quick beeps when you try to activate it under known "EV deny" conditions, like S1 operation or 34+ MPH?

6. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks! The ICE does get suppressed. I haven't got a change to drive yet - will try and report back later. Thanks again!

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I didn't get to your post earlier, I'm out of the country with limited internet. Glad you got it figured out.

8. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    No problem! Have a safe trip home. :)

9. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    "Forced" pulse and glide in S3?

As promised here is what I found:

1. I entered EV mode while the car was still in park. Then I forced the ICE to start by holding down both the brake and the accelerator and got the three short beeps.
    2. I entered EV mode while driving and in S3 (with the ICE fully warmed up but lacking the stopping for S4). I thought I could force ICE stop to do pulse & glide this way in S3 to save a few drops of fuel. But I found I need to push the accelerator really hard to bring the ICE back on to pulse. So initially the ICE revved up really high until I quickly eased on the accelerator, and I didn't notice 3 beeps but maybe because I was too focused on the ICE sound. At any rate this "forced" pulse & glide may not work very well to save fuel in the end due to the brief high revving, which leads to the next question:
    Is there a more gracious way to exit the EV mode under 34 MPH so I can do "forced" pulse and glide in S3? I tried pushing the EV button again hoping it to toggle out of the EV mode but that did not work. :(

10. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    As promised here is the story about the pins. After seeing this post warning about the pins harvested from the steering column may be the wrong size, also being lazy to do the harvesting work, and not wanting to pay $15 for the retail OEM pin, I went to the reputable autobeyours site and found they do have used pins for sale for reasonable prices. I bought two just in case if I screw up one then there is another as spare - and I am so glad I did that - the pins came in a flat envelope and the brutal mailing process had crushed one of the pins:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fortunately I did not screw up so one good one is all I need. :) And as a bonus it came with a piece of wire already nicely crimped on by the factory so I didn't have to mess with soldering such a small pin. :D For anyone want to do the mod I highly recommend this route for the pin - especially if you want to save time with some minimal added cost.