1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Button Installed!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Ichabod, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks in part to Hobbit for supplying a wire and pin for the Hybrid ECU, I installed my OEM EV button (purchased through Sigma) yesterday. Thanks also to Darrell's EVNut.com suggestion of slicing off the plastic keys that prevent the button from fitting into the left-most slot in the dash. It's much easier to see in that position.

The only trouble I faced was that after I put everything back together, the button doesn't light up. :( I even anticipated this as I was closing up... I decided that everything had gone smoothly enough and I didn't need to test it out. Even as I thought that, I knew I had jinxed myself but I still didn't stop to test.

So, I'm guessing the Radio Shack telephone wire taps I used were somehow done incorrectly, or didn't cut through the shielding on one or more of those wires, and I'll have to go back in and fix that. I'm not sure if I can remove those wire taps, or if it means I just have to cut all the wires and tie them together instead, but if anyone has advice on the least obtrusive way to repair that, I'm listening.

On the bright side, I'm really happy with the EV function, especially on segments of driving where I know I don't need ICE but the car doesn't know or isn't in the right mode to allow easy glides; now I can bend it to my will!

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The EV switch will not illuminate if the polarity is backward, ie: wires 2 & 3 were tapped into dimmer backward.
    If you are not sure, Unplug the connector from the EV switch and use a volt meter, test the voltage of wires 2 & 3 in the connector, with the lights on. If you get 12v then the wires are tapped. In that case you need to reverse wires 2 & 3 , because the EV switch light will not illuminate if the polarity is backward. The wires can be swapped in the connector by sliding the pins out, and swapping them.
    So, the question is how do you remove pins 2 & 3 from the connector harness and swap them? Use the metal spine of a twist-tie and insert it in the small hole in the end of the connector, above each associated pin, that will release the pin clip and allow you to pull the pins out and swap.
    That will save you the trouble of redoing your wire taps, if they are infact fully tapped.

4. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

5. vuapplepudding

vuapplepudding New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Jul 23 2007, 10:38 PM) [snapback]483947[/snapback]</div>
    Who needs a warranty if the PRIUS is built with quality in mind.

10/100,000 means nothing to me if I am spending all my weekends in the shop doing warranty work for "FREE".

23,000 miles in 10 months driving. Only had the alignment adjusted due to overseas transportation as expected. No other issues.

I agree, mod away! Customize your baby.

I will be installing the EV button and exploring how to install a custom remote start.

OK, a remote start might not be for everyone and may be considered useless, but it is my PRIUS and I am going to enjoy taking her apart!

6. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hard_working_student @ Jul 23 2007, 11:04 PM) [snapback]483961[/snapback]</div>
    "I can see it now. I have a remote start, listen!"

"I don't hear anything."

"Of course not it's only runs when it needs to."

"I don't think it is started."

"No it is...really!"

I know, I live here in Houston and I would like the AC on for a bit, before I have to get in, when I park out in the sun. It was just a funny thought though.

7. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Way to go! Can't wait to see it at our next get-together.

8. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Way to go! Can't wait to see it at our next get-together.