1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ev button mod I did is not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Sezy, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Got a problem here!

Screenshot_2015-07-23-08-39-51.png

I get 3 beeps and this "Cannot change to EV mode now" everytime I try to turn mine on. Tried in Park,Neutral,Reverse, Drive and Base. Did from a full stop,low speed, high speed but never kicked in, always get this. Then within in a minute or 2 the HV battery fan kicks on full blast for a few minutes.
    In short I connected the pin on #27 ran that to the mom switch and the other lead on the switch to a ground. Even tried moving my ground to a different spot. Restated the car like 5 times no luck. Called it a day and unplugged ping #27 for now. Thoughts / HELP????

#1 Sezy, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like it is working correctly. In your photo, it looks like your car is in the warm up stages, judging by the energy arrows, and you won't be able to engage the EV mode until it is finished. However, when the car is cold if you hit the EV button after the READY light shows, and BEFORE the ICE starts (you have about 7 secs), it should engage the EV (1 beep confirms) and postpone the ICE warm up.

Other than that, the car has to be just in the "right mood" to engage EV mode, otherwise it will do just as you described above -- 3 beeps and this "Cannot change to EV mode now"

The kicker is now that you have gone to so much trouble to install this button, the advice is for best fuel economy do not use it. The Prius is a gasoline powered car with electric assist, not an EV. It achieves it's magic MPG's by using each part -- ICE and MG -- in synergy to obtain the best economy, hence the name Hybrid Synergy Drive.

I hope you have fun playing with your mod.

Cheers,
    Josh.

3. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I even charged the battery up by holding the brakes and pressing gas until the bars were green. Tried it while the engine was on, hybrid, off, and electric only. Guess I can reconnect it and try engaging it throughout the day. My biggest worry is that the HV battery fan kicks in high after messing with the EV button. Is that normal?

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The battery may have been too hot after this force charge.

Nope, not normal at all.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm no wiring expert. As I stated in a previous post, I was merely a witness to my own button's installation. All I know is that if the car responds that it cannot slip into EV mode then the button is indeed working to send the signal that EV mode is desired. So it sounds to me as though the problem lies elsewhere.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree on the heat, the fan should not be kicking in. how many miles on her?

7. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It's at 123,xxx miles. After a few days of having the switch I think it's working now. The battery fan I haven't heard kick in loud since day one. EV only seems to work when it feels like. Under 34 mph,more than 3 battery bars and AC off or low. From briefly using this I can tell it won't have much effect on MPG but is fun to have the option.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yup, that pretty much sums up the ev mod.

Sezy likes this.