1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Full charge would not go byond 8.5 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ayega, Dec 15, 2012.

1. ayega

ayega Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have my 2012 Prius Plug-In since March and have monitoring my mileage and usage closely. At first, a full charge would show up to 12.5+ miles of EV usage according to the dashboard. But lately the full charge shows only up to 8.5 miles. Has anyone else also had this happen? Do you know why? I'm losing 4-5 miles per full ev charge. Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, it's happening to everyone. it's called cooler weather, believe it or not. battery is less efficient. if you want to measure it, go for a drive with a full charge. try to stay on reasonably level roads and under 40 mph and see how far you can go before the ice fires. welcome to priuschat!

3. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello and welcome! This issue is thoroughly addressed in the FAQ. Please take a look and let us know if you have any further questions :)

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We saw this coming... the same questions getting asked over and over and over again. It becomes annoying quick, when there's nothing actually wrong and it stems from not being well versed in how the system works. But that's what happens when a new technology is so well designed and so unintimidating middle-market consumers embrace it.

To best explain the situation, you have to first recognize that the value presented isn't an EV range expectation. Prius is a plug-in hybrid. Its purpose is to significantly reduce emissions consumption, not to offer a pure electric-only driving experience. The larger battery-pack and plug simply expand upon efficiency seeking opportunities the system has been taking advantage for 15 years now.

True, you will have plenty of EV driving, but that value is only an estimate based upon your own personal driving data. Reset the computer, the original value you saw will immediately return. Mine progressively got lower due to more blend driving rather than electric-only.

The resulting MPG should be outstanding, since the plug-supplied electricity is still being used. Seeing a value much lower now than when you first bought the car is an understandable sign of concern though. But then again, some of the best advocates for the technology over the years have come from owners with a first-post convinced something is wrong. They learn how the system actually works, then becomes very excited upon learning how well it copes with such a seemingly simple situation that is really quite complex.

Long story short, it's working fine and welcome to the forum. There are quite a number of threads on this topic already, do some searches. Then if you'd like to learn a lot more, consider purchasing an aftermarket gauge to allow you to observe aspects of operation not revealed via the dashboard displays.

5. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    +1

LG-MS910 ? 2

6. John, when you say reset, do you mean reboot?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it will be interesting if we are about to find out that you can reset the computer.:)

8. I am vaiting. Based on my limited knowledge from Gen 2. When you reboot, the computer(s) do reset?

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No, reboot isn't enough. Data must be replaced.

Disconnecting the 12-volt will cause some information to be restored to default values.

10. Yes I have done it several times John. Generally I first make note of the most favorable mileage results. Then after rebooting I have this fantastic new EV/HV ratios, then I restore the correct date and time. I may be missing some other minor memory that has to be restored, but it is All minor and no major problem. When finished I start out with 13.5 to 13.8 again, that is coming from about 10.5. After 2-4 weeks of rebooting the number again returns to 10. Something. It's sort of like death, except it's the slow deterioration of the lithium battery pack. Please don't take any of my numbers with certitude, you have to prove your own facts.

11. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Doing a reboot or reset will only change the number shown, but not affect the actual miles you can drive on a full charge for the given conditions

Mike

12. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    yes i still don't understand why people get so worked up over this number. just drive the damn car lol.

usbseawolf2000 and NinnJinn like this.
  13. Not proven, perhaps not provable, as conditions vary daily.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but likely. how could it?

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Disregarding real-world outcome over the concern of an estimate value misses the point.

The motto of JUST DRIVE IT obviously comes into play with this model of Prius too.

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Think about this: What if the display stated Percent instead of Miles.

You'd consistently see 85% from each full recharge.

Andyprius # 1 likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or it could state percent of usable. then it would start at 100%. but i actually prefer ev miles because, for some reason, under my typical usage, they are a pretty good estimate of how far i can go. perhaps a bit understated, but better that than overstated.

Andyprius # 1 and lensovet like this.
  18. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mine usually shows 11 miles, with me usually hitting around 10.8 or so before switching to HV, so it does a pretty good job guesstimating the range you will get based on previous driving behavior. That said, I managed to get 15 miles yesterday, so I am guessing I broke The Matrix ;)

Seriously, stop worrying about these numbers, and please don't bother 'rebooting' the car. Do you really want the car to lie to you?

lensovet likes this.
  19. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I think a number of people think that because it is a 'plug in' they will get a pure electric driving experience first, then HV once that runs out. Because they didn't do more research first, or the car salesman they spoke with did not clarify how the PiP works, they may feel they are loosing some of that electric driving experience and want to know why.

This is understandable and your explanation is very helpful, I am guessing.
    Many traditional auto sales dealerships are dealing with similar issues. Some dealers and even salespeople, are much better at educating customers than others.

lensovet likes this.