1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV fun Tuesday

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bwilson4web, Jan 31, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Shortly after sun rise, I loaded my wife's dogs in the Prime and just above freezing, took them to the dog park. Thanks to @priuscatprimeguy I drove manually until the SOC reached 89% and cruise control the rest of the way. On the way back, picked up two breakfasts and plugged in the L1 because Holly had a doctor's appointment at 11AM. Given she is always 30 minutes late, 'Baby, your appointment is at 10:30' and with a 2 hour head start, helped her get ready.

It was just about 40F/4C so once she got in the car, we drove manually until under 90% SOC, pure EV. Perfectly on time, the appointment went well and we stopped at the grocery store for lunch stuff. Back home, Holly and her dogs had lunch and I needed to fetch some club soda but we'd already done our three stops and the SOC was low. Parked on the L1, I switched to the BMW and off to Whole Foods. One L2 charger was in use so I went to use the other and found:
    [​IMG]
    top view

[​IMG]
    side view w/o flash

[​IMG]
    side view with flash

[​IMG]
    The locking latch has been forcibly broken/removed from the J1772.

Holding the connector in the car, it would try to sync and stop. Given how it was broken, I suspect someone had inadvertently locked the connector in their car and forced it out. They had probably locked the car and did realize it would keep the J1772 locked until charging was complete. So they broke it!

I reported the problem only to realize grocery store staff aren't very technical about EV chargers. They were going to share it with 'Jason' so I bought the club soda and stopped by the service desk on the way out. Back at the charger, I took pictures and drove off, leaving the club soda behind. When I returned several hours later, the club soda was at the service desk and back home again. So what is the point?
    1. The best backup to a plug-in hybrid is another one. - Some have claimed the optimum is an EV with a backup gasser/diesel. If a different class of vehicle, perhaps, but then I'd have been using the wrong car for a local trip.
    2. Chargers break (or can be broken.) - Both plugin hybrids have engines and I always had the option to drive away. It is what allows me to fully use the EV range and not worry about being stuck. How do we find the user who broke it to avoid it happening again?
    3. How do we get a shared resource fixed? - The users are not the owners and the grocery staff are not technical. Worse, the GE EVSE may not longer be supported. Given the risk to the J1772, perhaps a J1772 extension cord makes sense because they are more easily replaced if broken.
    Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  2. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You had a busy day.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  3. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For a minute there I thought the top photo was the end of your dashboard.

4. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I first read the title EV Fun Tuesday I thought maybe a new weekly trend was starting, sort of like Fajita Friday

5. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Uncle Bob, I share your opinions. I'm currently playing the Eco Dashboard game, trying to maximize my electric mode driving. I ruthlessly hunted down EV charge stations, to use while traveling over a hundred miles on some days. Observations include: Charge stations are VERY well hidden; at least one of the hookups doesn't work; selfish SOBs stay hooked up all day, although fully charged; many are in "private" locations not open to public; some charge over $1.00/kWh while a neighboring station (owned by the same company!) are free! All I know is, for me and my unpredictable lifestyle including frequent surprise "over 100 mile" trips, I'm sure glad I own my reliable, multi-fuel Prime!!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Dudley1030, Since2002 and bwilson4web like this.
  6. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Multi-energy would probably be more accurate since electricity isn't a fuel technically speaking ;)

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A question for @Team ChargePoint about the recently discovered, broken J1772 in Huntsville:
    . . .
    One L2 charger was in use so I went to use the other and found:
    [​IMG]
    top view

[​IMG]
    side view w/o flash

[​IMG]
    side view with flash

[​IMG]
    The locking latch has been forcibly broken/removed from the J1772.

Holding the connector in the car, it would try to sync and stop. Given how it was broken, I suspect someone had inadvertently locked the connector in their car and forced it out. They had probably locked the car and did realize it would keep the J1772 locked until charging was complete. So they broke it!

It looks like this GE connector might be field replaceable. But I've also seen replacements that have the J1772 and cable sold as a single unit. So my questions are:
    • Are your support team seeing similar damage to Charge Point equipment?
    • Is your repair practice to mount a new cable and connector or is the J1772 replaced in the field?
    • Do L2 chargers have the ability to read a VIN so a record of who last used it might be generated?
    • Finally, would you have a contact with Whole Foods (now Amazon) to reach out about this older GE EVSE? (Source: ChargePoint Takes Over Management of GE’s Electric Vehicle Charging Network | ChargePoint)
    Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

8. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Uncle Bob, when I use ChargePoint, they display a record of locations I've visited, so they must have a record of who used a particular station and when.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With their card?

Bob Wilson

10. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And where exactly were you between the hours of approx. 11:00pm Monday night and 11:00am Tuesday morning? :)

11. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That kind of damage was not easy to do. The J1772 connector is engineered to be extremely resistant to damage. The SAE spec provides:

Receptacle and cord plug

– Specified to comply with international standards including:

• J1772™
    • IEC 62196
    • UL 2251
    • Electrical safety

– 10,000 cycle life with exposure to dust, salt and water

Vehicle drive over does not expose a hazard

– Sealing

– Corrosion resistance
    – Touch temperature limits
    And I believe that all ChargePoint locations have a prominently displayed "800-" phone number which one can call for customer support.

The first time I used a public ChargePoint location, I had not yet obtained my ChargePoint card I did not know how to activate the device using a RFID credit card. Calling from my cellphone, I found the customer service person to be extremely helpful and patient, explaining the difference between a chip credit card and one with RFID. He described the RFID symbol:

RFID-credit-card.jpg

He was patient while I searched my wallet for a card with the symbol, and explained how to hold the card near the sensor on the ChargePoint station. It took a couple of tries for me to figure it out. As they say, "so simple only a child can do it!"

Anyway, I would expect someone thinking the J1772 connector was jammed into the car would have called for assistance rather than risk damaging their own car. But, as they also say, "Design something that is absolutely idiot proof and someone else will design a better idiot."

Alternative theories include "charger rage" (a new form of road rage), malicious vandalism, or some situation involving alcohol.

#11 Old Bear, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  12. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Via their app on my phone.

13. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I was home with my cat & car, officer!

benagi and Since2002 like this.
  14. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three

The side rear view mirrors are built pretty tough, yet I see a few of them missing, or dangling on various cars.
    Perhaps it was hit.

15. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Or somebody drove over it.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3