1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV headlight flasher mod question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Ocelot, May 15, 2004.

1. Ocelot

Ocelot New Member

Hi all --

I'm thinking about using the headlight flasher mod to enable EV mode in my Prius.

Here's my question: I was looking over the photos and instructions in the installation guide and noticed that the purple wire that is disconnected from the flasher plug is the same color as the wire that goes into hole #13 on H14 of the HV ECU.

I realize that this is a longshot, but does anybody know if it's the same wire? If it is, it would mean that the EV mod could be accomplished simply by taking the wire out of hole #13 and putting it into hole #27 in the HV ECU.

Can anybody with a wiring diagram shed some light on this?

Thanks!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it is a VERY VERY long shot! I can imagine no reason what so ever that the HV ECU would give a darn whether you were flashing the lights or not. I think it's more a matter of running out of colors for wires and some had to be used for multiple purposes. Albeit many of the wires are consistant (grounds are all the same for instance), I seriously doubt that's the case with the headlight flasher.

3. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ocelot,
    I did the mod for the headlight flasher a couple days ago with the help of efusco and his instructions. It only took me about 20-30 min. I just ran a wire from hole #27 on the ECU to the flasher. It is the safest chance. It isn't like Toyota has a million colors of wires to run every thing on it's own distinct color. SO they might have used each color 100 times for all we know. Good luck with your decision.
    Brian

4. Ocelot

Ocelot New Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I figured the chances were slim but thought it worth asking anyway.

Now then, where did I put my soldering iron...