1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV indicator vs EV Mode indicator

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by JamesBurke, Oct 17, 2011.

1. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the EV Indicator on the Hybrid System Indicator light to indicate ev operation even if EV Mode has not been selected? Will it light to show warp stealth operation? Did anybody notice?

In section 02-02 pg 201 of the manual the EV Indicator is defined as
    "The EV indicator comes on when
    driving the vehicle using only the
    electric motor (traction motor).".

Nothing is said about EV Mode being necessary for this operation.

Just as the Eco Indicator works independently of Eco Mode as it is available in Normal Mode also. Just wondering if EV indicator is the same.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Are you asking about the Prius v wagon?

3. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes the new V wagon. Wondering if the EV Indicator is active even when not in EV Mode like the Eco Indicator is for Normal Mode. It's a question of the wording in the manual and the lack of mention of this light in most of the reviews. I would like it to flick on and off when trying to get to the netzero energy state (glide) as it is in a better visual place. Being able to see it on a HUD would be even nicer.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I drove one for several hours earlier this year and while it's not something I looked for I don't think the EV light lights up unless you are in EV mode by pressing the EV button like on a 3rd Gen Prius. Only the ECO light flickers on and off above the HSI bar as it goes in and out of the pwr area etc.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And the confusion begins... (and it's not your fault!)

Treat the EV indicator as an "Engine off" light. It's there to tell you that you're running on battery power and the engine is off under normal operation.

The EV Drive Mode light is illuminated when you press the EV Mode indicator.

It also doesn't help that they switch the icons around (the EV leaf car used to be the EV Drive mode indicator and now it's the engine off indicator).

hope that helps!

6. libmanj

libmanj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Prius V owners, are you consistently able to get the EV indicator to turn on at highway speeds by lifting your foot off the gas completely and then pressing it back gently so the gas comes just under the first green line in the hybrid display? I just got my Prius V on Sunday. That night and on Monday, I was able to get the EV indicator on (turn the gas engine off) at highway speeds when gliding. For some reason, today I could get the indicator on on the highway, and I had plenty of battery charged up. Therefore, my mpg kept dropping on the highway, whereas the previous days, it kept climbing.

Any idea what this is about, Prius v veterans?

7. mcmoyer

mcmoyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My EV indicator will only come on when I'm under ~45mph. Any speed above that and the indicator will not come on even if I'm coasting down a hill without my foot on the gas pedal.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I can get EV to come on up to 43 MPH. I am in ECO, I have never pressed the EV button.

9. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    "Eco" mode is the button you push - telling the computer to remap the throttle response to assist in giving you better fuel milage and altering the AC usage and fan speeds...
    "ECO" green flag on the dash next to 'throttle' indicator - is telling you that you are driving the car in an economic way...meaning that you are getting the most you can (given there's a range in which this works)...
    EV - the white flag - is only on below 45mph when the gas engine is off. this is "Electric Vehicle" mode... when you are only on electric power.

EV cannot come on above 45 mph, or your gearing would have exploded. The tiny planetary gears in the transmission begin to over rev at about 46-48mph... which is why they fire up the gas engine - which is attached to their carrier ...
    they then control the rpm of the electric motor - to control the gear ratio to the gas engine....as the gas engine supplies most of the working torque...to drive the car.

it's all done through a planetary gear set which is one of the simplest setups - however - it's also one of the most complex to try to explain. but it is physically impossible to be in EV above 45 mph. which is also why they tell you not to flat tow the car - as the transmission would explode... spinning those planetaries.

10. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Agree with the EV not working "normally" over 43 mph, however no transmission "explosions" have been reported. My 08 ran 60 mph in EV mode for over a mile when I let the car run out of gas because of it's inconsistent gas gauge/tank bladder design.

11. libmanj

libmanj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Thanks everyone. I was probably imagining something that wasn't happening because I was just figuring the car out. There's a lot more stuff to look at on a Prius!

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No, it's not going to explode. The system is designed to deliver sustained travel at 100 km/h (62.1 mph).

The catch is having enough electricity to draw from the battery-pack to actually do it. For the plug-in, you've got 38 kW available for that. Once depleted, it drops to 27 kW, hence the max EV speed being reduced to 46 mph at that point.

[​IMG]

As for the towing, you don't want to with the front wheels down because it generates electricity. You'd overcharge the battery-pack doing that.

13. PruisAz

PruisAz Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I found the EV indicator works below 46mph, though sometimes it takes a release of the throttle and then gas back again to get it to light up. When coming down from higher speeds say 50mph to 45, it does not come on right away. Almost like the system needs some time to determine its in the proper speed range. Getting into a EV stealth mode below 42mph usually takes a couple of attempts, while staying on the mode is based on the traffic behind you or if you could keep to the left of the HSI mid line. I find on level ground that one could keep the vehicle at the same speed at 39-40mph in the EV stealth mode. Any more, you have to powerup and glide. Anyone? Theres nothing like a couple mile cruise in EV stealth to improve your mileage. Dealing with declining battery power is another issue...

14. libmanj

libmanj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    This is all very interesting. What is EV stealth mode? Please link me elsewhere if it has already been discussed.

I too am figuring out just how often I can get EV mode on.

15. PruisAz

PruisAz Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The difference between EV and Stealth is speed & power. Notice how EV mode is limited to 25 mph but you have more power available? It's 46 mph for Stealth, but the energy on the Eco-Meter is only half. It boils down to battery-pack draw, which even in the plug-in model differs between the two... which again, speed & power vary.

Long story short, there are 2 electric-only modes.

17. Sanador

Sanador New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Newbie to the forum... I too found myself striving to light up the EV indicator while traveling within the 0-45 mph range in my 2013 V three. Unfortunately, the display no longer shows the icon. Any ideas as to why that might be?

18. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You may have turned off some icons by pressing display to get "SET" where MPG normally shows, then you can change things with some more button presses.. Check how to customize display in the owner's manual.

Also, I recommend striving to light up the EV icon under 47 MPH mostly when you are going down hill or don't mind slowing down a little on an EV glide. I find that it just uses up the battery power too fast driving normal AND trying keeping the power level in the EV range.

Do you let off the gas for a split second to get the EV icon/mode on? Works great for me after ICED gets to 130F.