1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Install in New '06

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Jcp219, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Jcp219

Jcp219 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am planning on buying a '06 prius this week and would love to get an OEM EV Switch installed, but I am not big on opening up the dash on a brand new car to do it. Are there any local dealers or techs that would be willing to install the switch and perhaps even warranty the work, or at least Guarantee successful installation w/o frying my ECU or anything else?

If not, what are the chances of a complete car modding noob successfully installing an OEM Switch w/o screwing something up?

Thanks!

Location is Bel Air, MD btw.

<EDIT> I am now reading about the Coastal EV Switch mod, from what the site says it is really easy to do. Would that be the better route to go? </EDIT>

2. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I installed my Coastal EV switch the day after I brought my baby home. Why the day after? It was well after sunset on the first night.

The installation process was quite straight-forward. The dash comes apart quite easily.
    The hardest part was getting enough slack on the wires to attach the wire-taps. I ended up reaching them through the air condition vent rather than through the large open space where the glove compartment used to be.
    I think this will make more sense later, if you get down to installing it yourself.

I will be quite honest though, I've found very few situations where I've actually used the EV mode.

I would still do it for the sake of having the option handy at your fingertips. You know, just in case. ;-)

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The Coastal version is very easy to install. The OEM is harder, but not impossible. I don't know what dealers that will install them.

You should do a search as there have been some posts describing what they had to do.