1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Installed--a warning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by efusco, Mar 8, 2004.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got my EV button installed today. I took pictures of each step along the way and intend to do a full write up similar to the one I did for the NAV override switch a little while back.

First of all, I read all the stories of how it took 30 min. or 1 hour for someone to do including travel time to Radio Shack. For me, doing it by myself, it took about 3 1/2 hours including travel time to Radio Shack.

The MAJOR factor in the time was difficulty with the connector pin. And this is my warning. It is NOT easy to get to the plug and once you do there isn't a lot of room to work. The connector pin accepts a 24 guage wire easily, but just the little wiggling I did with the first pin frayed those wires. I highly recommend using a 22 guage wire--I ultimately used some speaker wire I had sitting around.

Getting that little weird connector pin all the way into the slot is NOT easy, getting the locking mechanism out of the way was a pain and if the pin isn't all the way in the locking mechanism won't go all the way down and you can't get the plug back in properly, and if you force it then it's hard as hell to get back out in the confined space. There is probably a nice little tool that makes this process easier, or maybe it's just a technique issue that those who fiddle with this stuff all the time know. But for an electronics novice who was working with an accelerated heart rate and nearly gave up at one point when I got the first pin wedge in the plug with a broken off wire and couldn't get the pin out.

Threading the wire behind the dash takes patience and thin fingers too.

But, once it's done, it works, well!! It's amazing how hard you can be on the accelerator without the ICE kicking in. I've just gone up the street about 1/4 mile at a max. 22mph so far, but the battery drain was pretty minimal for the little run I did.

I still haven't figured out if I have any REAL use for this button or under what circumstances it's going to be truely advantageous for me to use it, but I wanted to have access to the full features that this car is capable of.

Good luck all. And, if anyone reading this DOES know how to more easily get that damn pin in the plug let me know.

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I saw someone mention standard computer DB connector pins in this regard. If the pins/sockets here are the same or similar, yes, they make very inexpensive DB Pin insertion/extraction tools. They are double ended and have an insertion tool on one end and the extraction tool on the other.

I wasn't planning on doing the EV button right away, but I'm curious now, and I may go find one of the connection blocks to see what the pins look like.

If those work, I'm all set. I have hundreds of pins/sockets, dozens of insertion tools, and a couple of (not cheap) crimpers for the pins/sockets, hehe.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick tip - before inserting the wire tip into the pin, try melting some solder into the tip of the wire to keep it from fraying.

4. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    On a different note - Evan, where did you mount the button?

Last night I was trying to take apart the dash at the left side in order to get to the blank where the EV button will end up, but I was having a hard time removing the upper left panel (vent). I was able to unhook the 2 claws up top, but, without alot of force (and fear of breaking something), I couldn't get the lower 4 clips to move. The Repair manual outlines where they are, but doesn't mention whether the panel is just pried away, or if I need to unlatch it with the tip of a screwdriver or other tool.

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A good tip that would have helped with the initial effort. The speaker wire I ultimately used was already soldered at the tip. The first wire, however, did not fray at the tip, it was easy enough to just twist the wires, insert into the connector pin and then solder in place. The problem was that the back and forth bending of the wire at the end of the connector pin caused the smaller guage wire to fatigue and the individual wires broke off until there were only 2 strands still connecting the wire proper with the pin.
    --evan

6. ozt

ozt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    >I saw someone mention standard computer DB connector pins in this regard.

That's me. The Radio Shack DB-9 female is unassembled and comes with 10 or 12 receptacles. I also used anoter computer stuff. I ruined one of the Ethernet cables sitting in my drawer since I switched to wireless. I chopped the heads off. There are 10 or so color-coded wires inside. I used two of them and saved the rest for the illumination and other possibilities. I soldered the receptacle to one side. The other side has a momentary switch soldered. These wires are very stiff. It wasn't so hard to push this wire into the H14 with a pinset or plier once you raised the white retainer.

Tosh
    Salsa Red BC

7. mboileau

mboileau New Member

htmlspinnr - don't worry about breaking the vents. They really do pop out when you apply enough pressure. The easiest one to experiment with (in my opinion) is the far right vent by the passenger door. With the glove box open, you can get your hand behind it to jar it free. Once you have one out, you can see where the clips are to get a better idea for the others. The two surrounding the center console are the worst.

Thanks to Jon's (priusxm.com) instructional DVD for the XM player I installed, I feel like an old pro at disassembling most of the interior....

8. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Evan,
    Do you have the actual EV button that is put in the Japanese model or did you just put a radio shack switch in there?

Thanks,
    Brian

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have the OEM button, just used one from RS temporarily, but it looks good. I hope to replace it with my OEM in the next month or so when it comes from Japan. Hopefully with the nice illumination wire as well.

10. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd be curious to know if anyone has had a dealer install this EV button switch. My experience with "it's not too hard, you can do it yourself" sorts of projects almost always end up in grief. Not that I'm a klutz. I'd feel better having someone who knows what they are doing take apart my instrument panel...
    Bob

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's an interesting idea, but I don't think a certified Toyota dealer would do it. Hell, they probably don't know how since it wouldn't be in their wiring diagrams or tech guides. Plus, the same issues that kept Toyota from doing it in the first place would come into play.

You probably COULD get a good stereo installation place to do it. They'd be comfortable with the general concepts and maybe even with the specific pins used and such.

Listen, I just wrote up my article and forwarded it along with the pix to Danny. Hopefully he'll get it up today or tomorrow and you can read through it, check the pictures and make up your own mind.

You are not tearing apart the instrument panel, you take a couple (5 counting everything) plastic parts off of the dash that are held on by simple clips, you deal with only a couple simple no charge electrical contacts. It isn't a big deal...assuming everything goes OK with getting that pin all the way in the hole.

12. ozt

ozt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I posted some pictures of "real" EV Buttons in the pictures area. Please check them out. Evan, you will get one soon :p

Tosh
    Salsa Red BC
    San Diego

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Tosh, I'm giddy!!! Do you actually have them in your possession or are they still enroute?
    --evan

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tosh,
    I don't see any LED on the button, is it a little bit different version than some of the other pictures we've seen or is there a light and I just can't see it in the shots you posted?

Also, it's not evident in the photos exactly where the wires are connected or what that extra white thing is for. Maybe this isn't the best place to post all this, but post what you think appropriate and e-mail or PM the rest to me.

15. ozt

ozt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can't see the LED either. It is embedded inside the housing. Maybe the "EV" logo is half-transparent and illuminates at night. There are 4 pins (kind of flat, not exactly "pins") on the back of the button. One goes to H27, two of them are GND and the 4th one is for illumination.

The white thing is the matching connector that will be attached to the back of the button. You will need to prepare yourself 4 wires with "receptacles" to use this connector.

Tosh

16. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm thinking about installing the EV button. Will someone be posting where we can get the real thing from. I was considering doing the flasher thing if I could not get the original equipment. It would be great. Also is anybody working on the backup camera. That would definitely make me happy. And others.

17. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick EV button note - I got mine yesterday from the group buy. The light is not an LED, but rather a standard mini-bulb with the green rubbery coating that Toyota has used for some time. In digging around, it seems that other buttons may be similarly equipped.

Just an FYI should it ever "burn out".

-Rick

18. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as installing the real thing - I went out last night and tore apart my dash for a bit. The EV button looks sweet in it's spot, but I was short a few items.

I managed to retrieve 6 pins (took me a while to figure out how to release them, nearly broke one!) from the headlight flasher plug - there were quite a few more available in there.

I didn't have any wiring available, nor did I have the pins which fit into the EV button connector, so I wasn't able to truly get started last night. I'm also missing info on where I could tap the panel lighting. The best would be the inputs (pos and neg pre-bulb) for the Hazard switch, the MFD, and the radio input. Out of those three, only the hazard switch pulls directly from the rheostat - the other two feed in to the device as a "signal" - I say this because the MFD buttons and the radio do not illuminate unless the car is in ACC, IG-ON, or Ready modes. That being said, anyone wanting to tap these sources for illumination will want to make sure they find the input and not tap near the bulbs - otherwise their EV buttons won't illuminate unless the car is powered on.

Ideally I want to find the junction connector for the +/- and tap from there for a very factory approach. I have enough extra "pins" to help make that happen, but the challenge is to find the exact jumper points for a LHD car.

Off to get some wiring and see if I can't find the terminals for the EV button - they're not the same for the button - but larger. I'm going to try for a Radio Shack equivelant since Toyota may not be the cheapest route for 4.

I'll take pictures of anything that's "different" from Evan's install.

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks Rick, do keep us updated...I expect my button today or Monday and I, too, would like the most "factory" install possible. Interesting that it's a bulb in there, I figured they'd be LEDs, that seems like the better option, but maybe not.

Let us know exactly what RS parts #s are as well.

20. xlarimer

xlarimer New Member

Did I miss out on the group buy? Darn it, this is what happens when I leave for the weekend.