1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV mod for 1.6 mile commute?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by shtinkypuppie, Dec 7, 2008.

1. shtinkypuppie

shtinkypuppie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have an odd pattern of commuting and I wonder if EV mode wouldn't help me gain significant reduction in fuel use and engine wear.
    My commute to work consists of about 1.7 miles of street running with few lights and little traffic. On this trip, I rarely get more than 20mpg and I don't think I ever make it out of S1.
    I go to school four days a week and live about 10 miles from school. Thus, I figure I'll be able to recharge the battery somewhat on my trips to school and have lots of charge for the trip to work. I really want to avoid cold-starting the engine for such a short trip not only for MPG ratings but for engine wear ratings.
    So, for those of you who run with the EV switch: would you wager that I could make it to work under all electric power, even if only one-way? I have seen people say it's only good for less than a mile, and others say it's good for 5 or ten. I do apologize if this has already been asked and answered (I did check!).

Thanks in advance for any wise words.

2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In my experience, it depends on a couple of things...
    First - grade matters alot. If your run is at all uphill, the battery is depleted much much faster when in EV mode. So, if you have to choose one way or the other for your EV commute, pick the downhill one.
    Second - state of battery charge. I am able to drive about two miles every day from the freeway into my parking spot at work in EV mode. But that is because I have a full green-bar battery from about a two mile coast at the end of my freeway run.
    For times when the battery is only halfway charged up, the EV mode is used up very quickly.
    I have enjoyed my EV switch. I understood from the beginning that I needed to be selective with its use and for the most part let the car decide battery and ICE usage.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Let me ask another question: If your commute is only 1.7 miles, why are you driving a gas powered car? A bicycle or walking is ideal over a very short distance like that. Ten miles is harder. You sound like an ideal candidate for an electric vehicle, except the part about going to school probably means no money for such a beast. Maybe an electric bicycle would work.

Tom

4. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    shtinkypuppie,

Short answer: Maybe, only just maybe. You may see some savings, but I
    wouldn't expect them to be significant.

I'm on my second week using the EV Mode switch. It's a mixed blessing.

You may be able to go all the way, one way in EV mode. But then the ICE
    will be running constantly on the return trip to recharge the HV battery. So it
    might be a net loss.

Following advice from here, the best use for the EV switch in my particular
    commuting conditions is for ICE-ON suppression. How so? I use it to cut off
    the ICE at stoplights before the warm-up cycle is completed. When I get it
    right, I see about a 10% increase in MPG's. But this is only when I
    successfully fight the urge to use long EV mode runs. One thing I have
    discovered is that if I run the HV batery down below 4 blue bars, the
    recharge takes a v-e-r-y l-o-n-g time, and I loose any savings.

If you really want to get a handle on the many tricks to maximize FE/MPGs,
    I'd recommend you get a ScanGauge. Yeah, its a bit expensive, but over the
    long haul it'll pay for itself. Use the search function to find the many threads
    on the significant benefits, not just in fuel savings, that the SG offers.

5. shtinkypuppie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

I wish I could, but I work unpredictable hours, usually night shift, and the area through which I drive isn't the greatest. My commute to school is much longer and I do that more frequently, so I needed something flexible. I will be volunteering downtown after this semester ends, too, so that's about a 25 mile one-way trip.

To others: The trip to work is flat with only one stop sign, three turns and few lights. I can make the longest leg (about 90% of the run) without stopping most times.

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Rokeby's response is good. I agree that maybe you'll make the whole trip (likely one-way only). It's hard to say without knowing your exact conditions. If terrain is flat or downhill, you have absolutely no stops, and traffic is light enough that you can keep speed below 20 or so -- and you start with a reasonably full battery, as Krmcg suggests -- you just might make it. Whoever suggested you might get 5 or ten miles ... no way unless it's all downhill with no stops.

But if you can make it, it just might be worth it. You almost certainly are making it out of S1, but you're likely still in S2. (S1's duration typically is a little over a minute.) As you seem to realize, the car will insist on running to warm itself regardless of driving conditions. It makes sense that if you can make the 1.7 miles, you reduce by one the number of obligatory warmup cycles per day.

On days you don't make the ten-mile school trip, you probably will have a net loss of battery charge. Back-to-back days like this will affect the ability to use EV mode; the car inhibits EV when state of charge is less than 50%.

Engine wear is not an issue; the Prius engine leads an easy life anyway, as much as it's off in normal operations.

As Rokeby suggests, the EV switch typically is best used not to force EV propulsion, but to suppress the ICE when it's not needed for propulsion during warmup. See this for more.

One last thing: One modification that probably will help you is an engine block heater, assuming you have somewhere to plug it in. In your relatively warm climate, I'd wager you could get the car to S3/S4 temperatures (allowing ICE auto-shutdown) even in your short commutes.

EDIT (I see you responded between the time I started this and when I submitted it.): Though few, the stops on your commute may be "deal-breakers." It takes substantially more energy to get the car moving than it does to keep it moving.

7. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    JimboK,

Thanks for coming up on this thread. My earlier posting had two purposes,
    the ulterior one being to induce more experienced EV switch users like you
    to fill in the blanks.

Thanks especially for the cite to your very deailed info on EV mode
    operation. I need to look at it very carefully to try to get up on the learning
    curve. The EV switch sure isn't a magic bullet... for me, any FE/MPG
    improvements are way out on the margin.

I got/installed the switch with very limited expectations as to its usefulness.
    It's just that its use comes up so often in "hypermileing" discussions that I
    just had to see what all the fuss is about. So, now I know.

I also now think that Toyota's not including the EV switch as OEM is not a big
    deal. If it were included, it would probably result in mass confusion and
    bitter complaints from the average, off-the-street Prius owner.

8. hybrad2

hybrad2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sounds like a perfect candidate for a Plug-In conversion. You would get 10-12 miles of pure EV range with that mod. You'll be lucky to get over 1 mile w/stock battery.

Hybrad

9. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a commute of 1.9 miles, and because of lights, it took 10-15 minutes. I used an EBH and my mileage doubled.

I now live 20 miles away, and I still use my EBH. :)

10. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would try an engine block heater first, before the EV mod. With such a short commute, you should witness a remarkable MPG improvement that you may decide that the EBH is sufficient.

11. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Try grill blocking on days of the short drives to further speed warmup?

12. shtinkypuppie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks to all who have replied.
    Unfortunately, I live in a condominium complex and would have nowhere to plug an EBH in without running an extension cord out a window, under some walkways, ect.. I am going to grille block, since I go to work at 7pm and return at 7am so it's not exactly toasty when I'm driving. Still considering the EV switch; I'm not sure I want to risk voiding the warranty for it.