1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Mod

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by daronspicher, Feb 26, 2006.

1. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I like the idea of the Coastal Dave EV mod from what I've read. Here is my daily drive.

65 miles each way.

To work: Go EV first thing, back out the garage, down(slopes downhill) the driveway, 1/4 mile(also downhill), stop. Turn right, 300 feet, stop. Turn right, 1000 feet(flat), stop. Turn left and ramp up to 55mph where EV would kick off and the gas engine would have the next 3 miles, no traffic lights to warm all the way up.

Way home: Leave work, 3 miles to the tollway, get on the tollway (no EV yet). At about the 12 mile mark on the tollway, 3 of 5 times I get a bunch up for the next 5 miles. Some parts of the bunch up are stop.. up to 20mph, stop.. up to 10, stop.. eeek along at 8 mph for a few minutes, maybe cruise at 14 to 30mph for small parts. When I get in that bunch up, I'd like to do EV(the battery is full, it's warm). Then closer to home, there is one other small part of the 4 lane road where it necks down to 2 lane where I would do more of that wait and creep stuff..

My problem is that in the wait and creep driving, it would seem very hard to get from 0 up to 25 without the gas engine coming on and off. Not being able to more easily do that, kinda drives me nuts. I know it should drive on the battery at that point, but it doesn't.

My point for the EV switch is more for mental sanity than mpg. I just described my drive and why I might want EV. Can the EV people fill me in on if this situation would work as I think it would, or am I missing the point of the EV?

2. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Sounds ideal for EV. I don't have that much downhill run, but in traffic jams I use ev sometimes just as you plan.

You don't say where you are but keep in mind you won't get EV starting out on the downhill when it is either too hot or too cold. My EV works at 40 deg F usually but below 32 it won't.

In summer EV won't work if car has been parked in the sun till the battery cools.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I advise against using EV to accelerate from a stop. It is not efficient. Briefly (as I've stated elsewhere) the engine is inefficient at low loads, but the electrical system is inefficient at high loads (since it must be rechaged from the battery - unlike an electric car, which is recharged from the grid).

Accelerate using the engine, then use the EV to maintain slow steady speed. Once the car is fully warmed up, you can generally accomplish this without the EV switch by "feathering" the pedal: letting off it completely for a slow count of 2, then touching it ever so gently to maintain speed.

However, in the kind of slow-and-go/stop-and-go traffic conditions you are describing, the car often does not react fast enough to the changing traffic speed, and the EV switch can be very nice. But I would allow the engine to do the accelerating, unless it really is stop-and-creep driving.

In any case, although the car will put itself in electric mode up to 42 mph, the EV mode initiated by the switch is limited to 34 mph. And, although you can accelerate harder in EV mode than when the car itself goes electric, there is still a very low acceleration threashhold before the car goes out of EV mode. It requires a very light foot to use.

I think you will benefit from the switch.

Take a look at the Knowledge Base. Evan has an article with instructions for installing a switch for next to nothing, using any old cheap momentary-on switch. I use the Costal switch, because Evan's DIY method requires more dashboard dis-assembly than I was willing to do, and $45 is cheap for me. But if you are handy, and your budget is low, you can do it yourself for practically nothing.

Costal Dave's version has the advantage that the c/c stalk is right at your finger; but the disadvantage that you have to hold it for about 3 seconds for it to trigger. (Less time, and it's the c/c-cancel function.)

4. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I regularly accelerate in electric mode usually without needing the EV button, and I get pretty good mpg except in winter. My record tank so far was 59.

There's no reason to start the engine needlessly. If you really need power where the engine is more efficient it starts without your help.

The advice to not use EV for acceleration is sometimes valid, but it depends on other things too. It does relate to engine loading and lots of other things like whether you have extra charge on the batteries to use up.

Clearly if you can start out on EV and coast for 10 miles and then run engine for 10 mile on the freeway, you are saving gas.

If you accelerate in EV and then stop at a traffic light where the engine won't stop because it is recharging the battery you lose.

If your choice is EV acceleration or EV at constant speed for longer time, then using engine to accelerate makes sense.

You need to make your own tradeoffs and not consider the EV acceleration part in a vacuum ignoring where the battery gets its charge back.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Valid points.