1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Mod

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by chimohio, Oct 4, 2006.

1. chimohio

chimohio New Member

I have read many posts that discuss the EV Mod - problems putting it in, MPG goes down when battery charges more, how it's good in the morning to leave the neighhood quietly, etc.

My question is (the engineer in me, that is) - Have the good folks out there who have the mod installed done a test for a month, or even a tank full, under similar driving conditions to see if there is a difference in MPG with and without using it?

I think it is a great idea and is one of the mods I want to do, but us engineers love data. ;)

2. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

It works in a limited way. I use it to leave in the mornings when the ICE is cold thereby letting the ICE kick in one the main roads when I am not sitting at a stoplight. I also use it in parking lots you would be surprised how much you can hear.

You might as well do the mod yourself as it is easy and free to do. Less then a buck.

I use to ride too. Road, and Track. 70mi, 35mi, 70mi, 35mi, 35mi, race day, 20mi easy, week after week. Don't ever stop or you will put on weight like you would not believe. :rolleyes:

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are just too many variables...weather changes, wind changes, number of stops, amount of traffic, etc. to do any kind of reliable test unless you did something under very controlled conditions.

The advice I always give is to assume that it will lower you mpg when you first install it as you will play with it too much and use it at times you shouldn't. Eventually it'll even out. Then, you may learn when best to use it for improved FE...the improvements will be slight, but they are real when used appropriately.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Like Evan said, too many variables for a true test. From the theory, however, i think it can be shown that the mod can be benificial, or hurtful, to your MPG.

If you over use it, forcing the ICE to run to recharge the batteries, you'll suffer worse MPG. There really isn't much of a way around that.

Using it sparingly (to move 100 ft down the street till you turn on a high speed road, using it to force the ICE off when you're slowing down for a stop but you're in a state where it won't shutoff until after you're stopped) you can see a mild improvement of your MPG.

Regardless, it's not going to be setting any world records or boosting you too noticably. Mostly, it's just for showing off the features of the car, and as a neat little toy.

5. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I added the Coastal EV mod to mine and it's fun to play with, but I have not seen it increase my milage in any condition. I have seen it decrease my milage slightly when I use it. I think it's mostly for fun and moving the car in and out of the garage. I don't use it in daily driving myself (other than to impress riders)...

6. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Oct 4 2006, 12:03 PM) [snapback]328089[/snapback]</div>
    My experience, exactly. Very good advice.

Edit: except that I did my own, not the Coastal mod.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only if you learn how to use it wisely. Using it to forcefully drive in EV and drain the battery will hurt mileage. Knowing where to use it may help. For example, you know that on a particular stretch of road during the summer, the Prius will shut its engine off but for some reason, it's not off right now (engine cold, cat's cold, cooler temps etc etc). You can use the EV switch to keep it off til you're off that stretch and get out of EV Drive mode.

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    To answer the question in the subject line - yes it works perfectly. I don't use it to save gas, however. I use it to avoid turning the ICE on when I don't need it. That's why I installed it, and it works perfectly for my needs.

Now, if I just had a button that would remove the ICE completely and replace it with more battery and a plug...

9. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of Japanese mileage enthusiasts use the EV switch a lot, more than 100 times during 20 miles commute.
    Some people stay in S3, then they use EV-switch on for glide and cancel EV-switch for pulse.
    They can't live without the EV switch. :)

Ken@Japan

10. dkenglish7

dkenglish7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I have a very short, very hilly commute, and the EV mod has helped my mileage noticeably. My primary commute is 2.8 miles each way, mostly downhill going to work, mostly uphill coming home, with about 10 unsynchronized traffic lights and the usual dips and rises.

Without the EV mod, the ICE runs the whole way there and the whole way back, maybe shutting off at the last couple of traffic lights. "Just driving it" I was down around 38mpg. Using the EV switch on the downhill drive to work (starting in EV mode, going back into EV whenever I had to stop) my average came up to 44-45mpg. So EV is a definite win in my special situation.

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dkenglish7 @ Oct 4 2006, 06:35 PM) [snapback]328232[/snapback]</div>
    Oh man. You SERIOUSLY need a real EV. Or even better, a bicycle! Seems silly to burn ANY gas for that commute!

12. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Oct 4 2006, 10:37 PM) [snapback]328298[/snapback]</div>

Hey darelldd, how about one of these, https://www.revopower.com/main_detect.html :D

13. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Avid @ Oct 4 2006, 10:44 PM) [snapback]328306[/snapback]</div>
    Dude you just dont get it. If you are talking to darell, you need to show him one of these.

Solar bike :D

14. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Avid @ Oct 4 2006, 11:44 PM) [snapback]328306[/snapback]</div>
    Would this be considered a dyslekic motorcycle - this is almost as good as the bicycle they adverstise that changes gears all by itself.

15. dkenglish7

dkenglish7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Oct 4 2006, 10:37 PM) [snapback]328298[/snapback]</div>
    During the day, the traffic on that route makes bicycling a death-defying experience. And at night, some of the neighborhoods are equally frightening without the traffic. Plus, bicycling up those hills at 2am would require an Iron Man contender (I'm not, by a long shot). But yes, if I could plug in my Prius I could sometimes go a week without starting the ICE.