1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV mode @ 40 MPH

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AndreJ, May 13, 2007.

1. AndreJ

AndreJ New Member

I have noticed quite often that i can reach 40 MPH and stay there for some time on flat pavement in EV mode, I cant go to far at this speed in EV mode alone for a long distance, but the capability to travel at this speed in ev mode was not something i thought was possible. Most threads or posts or blogs or reviews state the computer can only go up to 30 MPH , some have even said 20 which i know is not right.

Does anyone else experience this with there prius?

2. PeteSJCA

PeteSJCA 2013 Prius Plug-In Base in Winter Gray

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Howdy, I have a 17 mile one-way commute, most of it on the freeway, but the last 3 miles on city streets/boulevards with limited traffic light in Fremont, CA. I can set the speed control at 40 MPH and do almost all of it in EV mode. I do the same thing in the afternoon after i get off the freeway the last 2-3 miles home.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Top end for "stealth"...electric only drive...is 41mph on the Prius.
    Just FYI, we usually only use the phrase "EV Mode" for the electric only condition that is engaged with the use of a device which turns on the EV mode of the computer. IOW, the Japanese and EU Prii come equipt with a button that engages an electric only mode (EV mode) that allows more aggressive acceleration than does regular "stealth". However, EV Mode (as initiated by the button or other device) disengages at 34mph.

4. mpgFanatic

mpgFanatic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 13 2007, 04:13 PM) [snapback]441166[/snapback]</div>
    I have read that "fact" many times, but my experience is much different. In my 2007, I consistently go to 53-53 mph on battery-only power with no ICE engagement. It takes a very steady foot, but it isn't difficult.

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mpgFanatic @ May 13 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]441169[/snapback]</div>
    No you don't. You're in "hyperstealth", and there may not even be fuel being burned, but above 41mph the ICE is forced to spin...this is done by MG1. Since no fuel is being burned you won't 'feel' the ICE as normal.

FYI, you can't believe the ENERGY screen as a factual display of what is really going on, it displays only select information in a limited way.

6. mpgFanatic

mpgFanatic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 13 2007, 04:22 PM) [snapback]441171[/snapback]</div>
    So, if no fuel is burned then IT IS battery only (EV mode), so what do I care if the ICE is spinning?

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mpgFanatic @ May 13 2007, 03:30 PM) [snapback]441179[/snapback]</div>
    For one b/c it takes additional energy to spinn the ICE, thus you'll burn additional fuel at a later time to replace the energy used to do so.

8. mpgFanatic

mpgFanatic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 13 2007, 04:52 PM) [snapback]441187[/snapback]</div>
    So, if I am reading between the lines correctly, it is impossible to fully optimize mpg using the MFD alone, which means that something like the ScanGauge is a necessity?

9. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mpgFanatic @ May 13 2007, 04:57 PM) [snapback]441191[/snapback]</div>
    I would say so, they you can see what is going on. The MFD doesn't always tell the whole story.

10. AndreJ

AndreJ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 13 2007, 04:13 PM) [snapback]441166[/snapback]</div>
    yea im very familiar with the ev mode button. I did not know it allow for aggressive acceleration though... that is very interesting. What would be the place to purchase the EV button if you know this?

yea im very familiar with the ev mode button. I did not know it allow for aggressive acceleration though... that is very interesting. What would be the place to purchase the EV button if you know this?

11. powphilprius

powphilprius Elshawno~

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So I though I was geeting EV at 65, but if you say the ICE is spinning & not using gas I'll take you're word for it, can't tell the difference at that speed & noise level. Hyperstealth should add more to your average I would think.

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AndreJ @ May 13 2007, 04:36 PM) [snapback]441215[/snapback]</div>
    Several options available. Search for "EV mod" Check the "articles" section.

Coastaletech.com sells a version that utilizes the cruise control for an invisible installation.
    Sigmaautomotive sells the OEM buttons.

13. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mpgFanatic @ May 13 2007, 04:57 PM) [snapback]441191[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe not. To optimize fuel economy, one should learn first how to pulse and glide (for speeds of 40 MPH and below) and warp stealth (for >40 MPH). Either can be done using the MFD alone.

Part of the ScanGauge's value is that it can display RPM (among other engine parameters), thus allowing the driver to keep RPM within its efficiency range during pulses or other acceleration and while cruising. In another thread, I floated an idea for a rule of thumb for the masses who choose not to buy added instrumentation, using the relationship of the instantaneous MPG and vehicle speed to optimize MPG. The rule is pretty simple if you can do some simple math on the fly: Keep instantaneous MPG > speed x 0.5 and < speed x 1.2.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mpgFanatic @ May 13 2007, 01:18 PM) [snapback]441169[/snapback]</div>
    [Emphasis mine.]

The ICE is ALWAYS engaged. In the Prius nothing is ever disengaged. The car can run without power input from the ICE at any speed, if conditions are right. But the rpm limits of MG1, combined with the geometry of the Power-Split Device, require the ICE to spin at speeds over 42 (41???) mph. The Energy screen does not show whether the ICE is spinning, only whether it is supplying energy.

However, at higher speeds it requires more energy to move the car, so on battery power the battery will go down quickly and the car will start the ICE.

Also, electric mode is efficient only under a very narrow range of conditions, and at freeway speed, it is very rarely efficient for the ICE to be off, which is why it seldom happens on level terrain and constant speed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AndreJ @ May 13 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]441215[/snapback]</div>
    The EV switch allows for more aggressive acceleration than the electric mode the car itself initiates. However, this is still very light acceleration. I think my little Xebra can accelerate harder than a Prius in EV mode. This is because it is very inefficient to accelerate on battery power, so the computer starts the ICE in order to improve efficiency.

15. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AndreJ @ May 13 2007, 03:57 PM) [snapback]441164[/snapback]</div>
    I'm only able to get into hyperstealth when the weather is warm or the car is hot. Normally, once I hit 33 mph the ice kicks on automatically.

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ibcs @ May 14 2007, 08:46 AM) [snapback]441583[/snapback]</div>
    Comments like this always make me kind of shake my head.
    I think there's still a lot of confusion about being in stealth. It is rarely if ever a good idea to accelerate in electric only mode, particularly from very slow speeds to higher speeds. If you're inching up in traffic it's OK, but otherwise should very rarely be used.

Rather, you should accelerate to or a little above your target speed, then feather the pedal into stealth and glide down to your lower-end target speed. If you can accelerate in the 1700-2300rpm sweet-spot range all the better.

17. gottagetone

gottagetone Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 14 2007, 06:54 AM) [snapback]441586[/snapback]</div>
    Regarding your statement above, I'm curious why it's not a good idea. Does it not allow the ICE to warm up? I thought trying to use the battery more offers better FE. Does this damage by baby? :)

18. echase

echase New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GottaGetOne @ Jun 4 2007, 08:49 PM) [snapback]455348[/snapback]</div>
    Very much to the contrary!

The battery is usually the enemy of efficiency. The reasoning has to do with the second law of thermodynamics, the rule of entropy. In a nutshell, any time matter or energy changes states, some is wasted.

All energy in the battery comes from the ICE. Converting it from fuel to motion causes one step of entropy. Converting motion to electricity, then convering electricity to chemistry (charging the battery) then converting chemistry back to electricity, then convering electricity back to motion adds four additional steps. These steps are very inneficient.

You may be thinking, why does the Prius have a battery if this conversion process is so inneficient? There are two answers to this question that I am aware of. One is that the super-efficient engine that the Prius uses is TINY by our standards, and lacks the poweer to accelerate decently. The battery gives us the boost we need to get going. Also, the Prius is able to capture a small portion of energy that would otherwise be used in braking, and re-use it to accelerate again.

There are thousands of other details which contribute to the marvelous efficiency of the elegent masterpiece of engineering that you are driving, but the most important thing to remember, is that electric mode is not your friend. Typically the greatest efficiency happens with no yellow on the energy screen, one red & one green, or nothing at all are the goal.

The first thing to learn, IMO when you are imroving your mileage is to pay attention to the light ahead of you. If it's red, you can probably save energy by braking way early. The hope here is that you will slow down so much while you are far away from the light that it will turn green before you lose all of your speed and have to accelerate again. This is the most efficient, because the energy of your motion does not have to change states at all.

----

If anyone has stats on the efficency of regenerative braking in the Prius, I'd love to have them, it would really help educate new drivers.