1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Mode and Hymotion

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by jessebismarcknd, Mar 1, 2009.

1. jessebismarcknd

jessebismarcknd New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Does anyone know if there is a mod which will work with the Hymotion pack to allow me to drive in pure EV mode right out of my garage? I find that it takes several minutes before I can drive in EV mode. This is frustrating because I feel I am missing out on an unlimited MPG possibility for the short drive it takes me on in-town roads with speeds about 20 mph on the way out to the highway.

I notice on the way back home when I exit the highway, I have no trouble doing EV in town.

Also, is there any harm in turning on and off the Hymotion pack while driving? I have heard some conflicting reports on this.

1 person likes this.
  2. zcat3

zcat3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Jesse - there is the Luscious Garage / Plug-in-Supply mod that Kent and I have (see other thread). Other than that I am not aware of anything. A Hymotion tech I spoke to said it is possible to wire in the EV button, but he said it is not something Hymotion will tel you how to do. He thought there may be some info out in cyberspace, but I am not aware of any.

As for turning the Hymotion switch on / off while driving, Peak Oil Garage, a frequent poster here and a Hymotion installer told me that it is not a problem except that it will cancel your cruise control setting if you are using it.

1 person likes this.
  3. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    My EV switch works with my Hymotion pack. I have the Coastal Tech EV mod. That Coastal Tech mod takes maybe 15 minutes to install yourself. I use it just as you described, so I can get all-EV in around-town cruising.

My only problem is that I eventually broke the cruise control stalk (which is what the Coastal mod uses to trigger EV mode) and had to epoxy it back into place.

Now, there has been some mention here of a software "upgrade" on the Hymotion packs that forces warmup. I don't know what that is, I don't know whether or not I have it. All I know is that my stock Coastal Tech EV switch works with my Hymotion pack.

1 person likes this.
  4. zcat3

zcat3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Correct - there was a CARB mandated update that creates a forced warmup - kind of dumb when you know you will be running in only EV mode. My Hymotion has this update - my pack was installed at the end of November. Earlier packs may not have the update.

1 person likes this.
  5. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah, sorry, my pack dates to August of last year.

1 person likes this.
  6. jessebismarcknd

jessebismarcknd New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

My pack was installed in January 2009, so am guessing it probably includes the change to force warm up.....so maybe the coastaltech EV update won't work with mine. It sure would be nice to be able to drive a mile or two around town without the MPGs plummetting.

1 person likes this.
  7. sjensen98104

sjensen98104 Hymotion Lab Rat

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi all, I've had my Hymotion pack for 4 months and it included the CARM update. My car would go through the warm-up cycle until I figured out that I can start it with the Hymotion switch off and no heat on, then switch the Hymotion on within 5 seconds and it doesn't go through the warm-up cycle. Try it.

1 person likes this.
  8. zcat3

zcat3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I tried it several times - no luck. Are you hitting the Hymotion battery right after powering on or are you doing a count and then hitting it -

1 person likes this.