1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV mode at every stop

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by dnstommy, Jul 7, 2012.

1. dnstommy

dnstommy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wish my Prius would switch to EV mode every time I came to a stop. The electric mode you get by default is nice, but you can only apple 3% power before it switches to ECO (gas) mode. With the true EV mode you can apply a good amount of power from a red light up to 25 mph where you can then apply 30 iMPG all the way to your choosen speed.

2. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Buy a volt.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Keeping the engine off would be an inefficient use of the limited electricity available. The system delivers overall higher MPG as a result of having the engine startup right away.

If you want EV mode for your suburb driving needs, buy the plug-in model.

4. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wayne Gerdes recommends keeping in Electric only, until you reach 16 mph, and then accelerating to midway between eco and power on the HSI. If you are not reaching 16 mph before switching, you are using too much gas pedal. Beyond 16 mph, you are better off using gas (according to him).

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We're talking a fraction of a second difference. Just drive it.

6. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some people actually want to achieve higher gas mileage. I, for one, would like to encourage them. Every difference is a difference. Add enough of them for a impressive change. Wayne Gerdes is talking about getting 86 mpg.

7. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Accelerating in EV only until 16 MPH is only practical in a traffic jam, or downtown. At the normal traffic lights, doing this will get me shot.

Andria, wesayso, danboy and 2 others like this.
  8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Simply checking tire PSI every Saturday morning would provide more of a gain.

Blocking the grille in the winter does even more.

I've never been interested in squeezing the absolute most out. 50 MPG average was just fine for me. I've enjoyed summer driving with windows open, put bikes on back, put kayaks on top, and use the A/C when it's really hot.

retired4999 likes this.
  9. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The point is not to find the one thing which increases one's gas mileage the most, the point is to do all things which increase one's gas mileage.

10. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, which is it? Exactly how much difference is there in time?

11. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes. I hit EV mode at every stop sign (if I remember). As you note, you can apply decent power and get the car from 0-25 before it turns the engine on. That's significant savings as the 0-25 is a good part of the energy needed.

It would be nice if this was part of "Eco" mode, car goes electric to 25 mph if enough charge in the battery.

12. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    With AC on, EV only to 16 would take 3 -5 second longer, depends on the slope in my experience, instead of pacing the "norm".

13. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Make sure you have ECO on when you do the EV from a stop sign move. This will keep the AC from triggering engine on.

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yup, that slow would upset people behind you. I'll never understand the obsession with the "most" desire. Squeezing every last drop of gas out of the tank, rather than just stopping at a station when the refill light comes on, is another example. Why?

15. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well, same as those who mod their cars to get the most HP, after a certain point, traction is the limiting factor. I suppose it is human nature.

16. dnstommy

dnstommy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You must be having a bad day, not sure how you turned my post into buy a volt.

17. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Might as well ask why accelerate as fast as you can, to get to the next stop light 3-5 seconds sooner? Wow. You save nothing, while wasting, costly, polluting, limited fuel, bought from people who hate you.

18. dnstommy

dnstommy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are you talking about EV mode (button) or the EV you get with ECO mode? To keep in EV/ECO allows so little throttle it is unrealistic in traffic. In EV button mode you can use a lot of input and still drive for free on EV.

To me it seems I use the most gas accelerating from a light. If I can always turn that into EV it would be great.

19. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why don't I let him do the talking:

20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Corwyn is correct.

According to Wayne and some other people at CleanMPG.com using EV up to about 15mph then firing the ICE for the rest of the acceleration pulse is more efficient than just firing the ICE immediately upon take off. For those who fear for their lives if they accelerate too slow there is always the EV Mode button which allows acceleration well past the EV section on the HSI and into the Eco and Power ection if you are careful with throttle application. Using EV Mode puts you right at the threshold of tolerable acceleration and I find I actually accelerate faster than most of drivers if I use EV Mode. If I tried to stay in EV without pushing the EV button I would accelerate too slowly or I would blow right past the EV section of the HSI and enter the Eco section which would trigger the ICE to fire. The trick is to useas little EVpower as possible, however. If you use EVMode then you ultimately use more power to get up to speed and you will now have to work harder to regenerate that power vs. just going slower in EV without the mode button pressed. *shrug*

For those who don't want to employ these techniques all I can say is don't. Behappy with your mpg and stop trying to toss out your $.02 when the discussion doesn't apply to you. There are a lot of people out there who could use the information to better their mpg or simply have a bit of fun.

melonhawg likes this.