1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV mode doesn't work today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ServoScanMan, Apr 7, 2008.

1. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not sure if this is the right place for this topic.

Today, when I pushed my EV mode switch, I got the 3 beeps (can't go into EV mode). This is after the car is warmed up and I have been driving for 15 minutes. Any idea has to why this is happening?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    not enough info...battery SOC, was it hot out? was your foot on the accelerator? how fast were you going? Do you have the grill blocked and it was a warm day? Your inverter/MG temps may have been too high. There are several known factors that will prevent EV mode and a few that are still mysteries.

3. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, the EV mode worked perfectly today. I made a round trip from work to home and back to work (20 miles - 71mpg).

Yesterday was an unusal day for me as far as driving. It was mid 80s in temperature and I made several short and medium trips. The grill is not blocked on my car. As I was leaving one place of business, the battery state of charge showed green. I could not go into pure EV mode.

efusco, I think you are right, the inverter was warm. I total forgot about that. Thanks.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    EV won't work with a very high SOC (ie. full green battery) either.

5. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ev mode deserves some sort of serious psychiatric diagnosis. Oppositional Defiant Disorder, and maybe Bipolar Disorder also. It's a total crapshoot when mine will function. It never works after the car has been started.