1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Mode From Coastal: Any Experience Out There?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Bob Hayes, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After 2 months of absolutely nothing, Coastal finally sent an e-mail saying my EV Mode is on the way. But now I have reservations. Tinkering with the electronics in any complicated computer system is risky business.

Any feedback out there from people who have installed the Coastal EV Mode?

1) Does it work as advertised? Are there any unknown problems?
    2) Is it easy to install, and is there any wire-cutting?
    3) Any thoughts on warranty: Will this device void the warranty? Is it easy to remove it and reinstall when I take it in for maintenance, so the dealer will never know the difference???

The last thing I want is to install this device, have it ruin something, and then hear from the dealer that it's not covered, because I modified the car.

Thanks, everyone.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Without owning Coastal's EV mod, but having my own button, and understanding how coastal's mod works, and reading previous posts on it:

"1) Does it work as advertised? Are there any unknown problems?"

Yes, very well. Early betas had a problem where CC would not engage below 35MPH, but that was fixed before full production.

"2) Is it easy to install, and is there any wire-cutting?"
    No wire cutting. A few wire taps, and a pin that needs to be added to the HV ECU plug. The pin is the hardest part, as it has to be inserted far enough. Getting to the plug can be cramped.

"3) Any thoughts on warranty: Will this device void the warranty? Is it easy to remove it and reinstall when I take it in for maintenance, so the dealer will never know the difference???"
    It is hidden, since you use the CC cancel to engage. Removal would be tough because of the pin. If they had to work around the HV ECU, then they would see it. Otherwise they wouldn't. They don't need to go there for any reprogramming. Warranty issue has been debated on several threads. Search on EV and Warranty.

"The last thing I want is to install this device, have it ruin something, and then hear from the dealer that it's not covered, because I modified the car."

If you are uncomfortable with doing mods, then an installer should be able to do it. Not any harder (easier actually) than installing XM or an aftermarket amp/radio. I accidentally broke the locking tab on the plug, but it was way too flimsly and should not have broken. However, the plug can still be removed, with a little more effort to unlatch the locking tab.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You got an e-mail? yay! They have stock!

Where's mine? :(

4. stucholka

stucholka New Member

I hope I get my email soon! I ordered one almost two months ago.

5. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Received my EV switch from Costal last week and installed it today -- works like a charm. Instructions and diagrams were excellent and install took about 30 minutes. Very cool little device. Can't wait to freak out the folks at work!
    Thanks, Dave, for a great little product!

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <sigh> I still haven't got mine and it's been 2 weeks since stock came in :(

7. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Got it, installed it, used it. Works easily and invisibly.
    Will be removed if I have any unrelated elctrical issues down the road... just to avoid the argument.

8. Mitch528

Mitch528 New Member

I placed an order for the Coastal Tech EV mod, then cancelled it after reading of the long delays and some other posts after various other issues which made it sound unattractive.

Obviously, wait times for delivery are still a problem based on Tideland Prius' post above. What have been the actual wait times for people? I have seen as long as 2 months, and I'm not sure I'm that patient.

I have heard that after the install, ANY attempt to cancel the cruise control will result in the Prius beeping three times because it refuses to go into EV mode above 35MPH. My understanding is that the CC cancel needed to be held for 2secs before it would try to engage EV mode. How does it ACTUALLY operate?

I have also heard that, after engaging EV mode with the CC cancel, the only way to put the Prius back into normal hybrid mode was to quickly accelerate... holding the CC cancel down for another 2sec would not do it. Seems hard to believe. True or not?

This seems like a great product for me that is easy to install, and I really like the idea of moving around parking lots and garages in EV mode, but not if I can't easily cancel it or if it will turn my cruise control into a musical instrument every time I have to cancel it on a road trip.

Mitch

9. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I also noticed that it won't turn off using the stalk. Other than that, no problems, specifically no problems with the cruise control, which is unaffected. Some of the discussions pertain to his proto version, not the one he's selling today.

10. Mitch528

Mitch528 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil\";p=\"103102)</div>
    That's a shame... so how do YOU turn it off? Just accelerate quickly?

And by the way... how long did it take from the time you ordered it to the time that it was delivered to you?

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just press a bit harder

12. stucholka

stucholka New Member

Oh boy, I am still shaking!

I received my Coastal EV Kit yesterday and installed it with minor problem getting the pin into slot 27 far enough. After about 35 minutes, success! Test drove it last night and on my way to work this morning, for lunch, and back home without any problems.

Then I had a meeting tonight so I headed out and … no beep beep. I could not get the EV mode going. When I got home, I disassembled the dash to expertly remove the plug and jam a tiny optical screwdriver down slot 27 again. Plugged it in and … Nope. Three more trys.. nothing. I noticed that the black and white wire in hole 1 tap connector did not seem correct, so I made sure that the wire was firmly pushed into the tap connector. Reassemble, nothing, not even the three beeps. ???

Looking into the dashboard, I noticed that the black and white wire had split in two! Yippee skippee! I had this thing working last night and now I do not think the car is going to work at all.  After calming down and grabbing some extra wire, I soldered the two ends of the black and white wire to my new piece of wire with the tap connector already perfectly in place. I had some wire connectors lying around so I placed it over my soldered ends and clamped them so the bare wires were covered. I walked around to the driver’s side, sat down, put the fob in, pressed power, and pulled the CC switch towards me and …. Beep! beep! and the “Energy†view displayed on the screen!

I am probably the only person to have problems with the tap connectors and not the 27 pin (Ok, I had a little problem with the pin). I am hoping that I got it right this time. Has anyone else had problems after the EV switch was working for a while and then stopped working?

13. bsumpter

bsumpter New Member

Got mine in the mail today, had it installed about 35 minutes later.

It works perfectly. It was a rush to cruise around the neighborhood in EV mode this evening! Pretty good acceleration too -- much more than I expected from the electric motor. You can definitely tell where the torque of the car comes from!

I also noticed I couldn't deactivate it via the stalk, but a quick punch of the accelerator pedal brings it right out. The installation is pretty simple if you are mechanical, just take your time with that pin. It's a tight fit in there and you wouldn't want to pull anything loose.

All in all, thumbs up to Coastal!

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    got mine two days ago and it was a breeze to install. i can disable it via the stalk no problem. just need to hold it for a couple seconds. instructions are great, step by step, read the whole thing through once. he gives a bunch of heads up so you wont have a problem

and the pin needs to be pretty far in. i used a pin punch. (has a tip on it just like those steel tipped dart...actually one of those will help you a lot)

15. Mitch528

Mitch528 New Member

That's good news. And, just to be clear, the cruise control works normally with the device installed? In other words, no problem canceling cruise control with the device installed?

Another question... can you enter into EV-mode while rolling, or do you need to come to a complete stop first?

Thanks in advance for the info... I sent an email to Coastal Tech the same day I posted this thread asking for the same info, and I have yet to hear back from them. They don't seem to excited about selling their products.

Mitch

16. bsumpter

bsumpter New Member

Well hopefully I didn't speak too soon.

Am I correct in assuming that if I get the 3 beeps when trying to engage EV that everything is wired up properly and the car is choosing not to let me engage it? Or is it possible to get the 3 beeps with an installation issue (pin not making contact, etc)?

Last night after the install, it worked perfectly. I used it again this morning without any issues on the way to work. After sitting in the parking lot all morning however, I could not get it to engage during my lunch hour. My requests for EV mode were always met with 3 beeps. I tried it probably 50 times before I finally gave up on EV mode for that trip.

Is this the car's computer preventing EV mode? Or do you think I have an installation issue? My biggest question -- is it possible to get the 3 beeps if a wire came loose? Hopefully this is temperature related, as it is pretty warm outside today. Not terribly hot, but around 85 F or so.

17. bsumpter

bsumpter New Member

Disregard the above post. I suppose it is temperature related.

After parking my car in the shade for an hour or so, EV mode engaged just fine with a single beep! So now I know it's not an installation problem -- it's apparently just the Prius computer protecting the HV battery.

Good information to know.

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    you couldnt engage if your car is in the warmup cycle whenfirst starting. to prevent this from happening. hold the CC stalk whne starting and it will start directly into EV mode