1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Mode Indicator on 07 Instrument Cluster

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by rotearc, Feb 4, 2007.

1. rotearc

rotearc New Member

For those lucky owner which have the EV swtich installed. Could you tell me where is the EV Indicator on a 2007 Prius please? A picture will be great. Also, any benefit that you can see with the EV Switch?

Thanks,

Ernest

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(E. Lau @ Feb 4 2007, 05:51 PM) [snapback]385328[/snapback]</div>
    If you are in a market that does not have the EV switch as standard (like North America, for example), you will not have an EV indicator - even when you install the switch after-market. If you DID have one, it would look like this (far right side).
    [​IMG]
    But you won't, so don't get all exited.

Yes. Otherwise, it likely would never have been a feature of the car in any market.

3. rotearc

rotearc New Member

Thanks, how do I know the EV Mode is working then?

Ernest

4. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(E. Lau @ Feb 4 2007, 09:43 PM) [snapback]385339[/snapback]</div>
    The MFD will tell you when it is enabled. Try doing a search and you'll find many, many threads on this topic.

5. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As Ari mentions, the MFD will notify you IF you have the screen set up properly before activation. After you've already activated EV mode, there really is no indication of it being on - execpt of course that you are now on electric motor only. You've just got to know when you hit the switch. There is a beep and notice when the car (automatically) goes OUT of EV mode, however. And there is a notice when you try to enter it at a time when the system will not let you (going to fast, or the car is in warm-up mode).

6. pwilly22

pwilly22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Three

7. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One thing to remember is that by installing the EV switch, as it can easily be seen, if your vehicle is still under warranty Toyota will not honor battery issues it with the EV switch installed if you are in the States.

8. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Feb 6 2007, 05:50 PM) [snapback]386354[/snapback]</div>

So you just install it in the CC stalk, right?

9. psibill

psibill Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Feb 6 2007, 05:50 PM) [snapback]386354[/snapback]</div>

Is this emperical evidence, or a SB/TB or something that Toyota sent out to all shops?

10. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The EV switch can be purchased and installed in the US. The switch does not come standard on any car sold in the US. Tons of info on these pages, and on my site.

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It's probably better to say that if your battery dies prematurely and they see the EV switch, they'll probably not honor the warranty. However, anyone w/ half a brain (and less than perfect ethics) would probably pop out the switch and put back the blank, hoping the HV-ECU computer doesn't tattle later. :)

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Feb 6 2007, 02:50 PM) [snapback]386354[/snapback]</div>
    This information comes from where?

The EV switch was not deleted from the NA cars for battery issues. It is purely for emissions. You can't run the batteries down any further with EV switch use than you can when driving the car normally (say up hill).

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Feb 15 2007, 03:09 AM) [snapback]390738[/snapback]</div>
    The belief his warrany is void came out of the clear blue sky :p

14. king_of_the_huns

king_of_the_huns New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Feb 17 2007, 09:24 AM) [snapback]392021[/snapback]</div>
    jfyi,

The other day I got a voice message on my phone from a person
    claiming to be a representative of Toyota/Honda and left a message,
    that nor my hybrid car nor myself as an individual is recognized by
    Toyota for warranty due to tampering with the car... The guy who
    left the message seemed to be a bit disoriented...

I haven't checked with the garage I usually take my car to,
    but I asked my friends around if they pulled a prank, so far the
    message seems to be legit... WEIIRD...

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's horsepuckey, since Honda and Toyota are different companies
    for starters and neither would never actually pull something like
    that. It would be the nadir of unprofessional. Got caller-ID?
    _H*

16. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Feb 14 2007, 11:09 PM) [snapback]390738[/snapback]</div>
    That's what I've always assumed, and I believe you. It just won't stay in EV mode any longer than conditions permit.

Dave M.

17. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Feb 17 2007, 05:32 PM) [snapback]392177[/snapback]</div>
    We know that Toyota took the EV switch off the cars sold in North America and left the programming in the car. The company has made no positive statement either way except to say over and over again "we do not recommend any modifications to the car".

We know that the newly announced model change for the Highlander Hybrid will include an EV switch. We know that one of the reasons for leaving off the EV switch for the Prius was related to emission standards.

Beyond that we are left to use our best judgement because we don't KNOW any more.

Dave is correct, if the State Of Charge gets down to 40%, the car is programmed to shut off the EV Mode and run the ICE to charge the traction battery. You can defeat this protection by running out of gas and driving the car until it quits (NOT RECOMMENDED) but that has nothing to do with the EV Mode.

18. AndreAndHisPrius

AndreAndHisPrius New Member

Dave is correct, if the State Of Charge gets down to 40%, the car is programmed to shut off the EV Mode and run the ICE to charge the traction battery. You can defeat this protection by running out of gas and driving the car until it quits (NOT RECOMMENDED) but that has nothing to do with the EV Mode.
    [/quote]

buuut. if you get the extra battery modification from calcars.org which also modifies the car to be plugged in, you should be able to go very long distances. calcars.org claims 100 +
    http://www.calcars.org/photos.html#edrive

19. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My belief that by adding this to U.S. versions of the Prius will void the battery warranty comes from the fact that Toyota did not include this to begin with due to the U.S. battery warranty.

If this is incorrect then why didn't we in the U.S. get an EV mode button in our Pruis?

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Feb 22 2007, 12:25 PM) [snapback]394741[/snapback]</div>
    EPA issues or something similar. I think it's the way they calculate the emissions.