1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV mode only

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tomr2210, Jul 23, 2009.

1. tomr2210

tomr2210 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the new 2010 have an EV mode only, I understand that in Europe, the cars are equipped that way. I am doing my research because my 2001 Ford escape which has been great to me, but getting older, and I am not wanting to have to deal with the problems of an old car. I live in the Phoenix area of Az. and Its HOT most of the time. I live in an Adult community where the posted speed is 35 mile per hour. So the EV mode only would push my MPG up higher. THanks for any info, Love this forum for all the good info I have been reading about. TOM

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There are actually 2 electric-only modes.

EV is invoked manually using the EV-Mode button. It offers a maximum speed of 25 MPH. The intended use is for purposes like pulling the car out of the garage, waiting in line at the drive-thru, and crawling along in really heavy traffic.

STEALTH is automatic, there's no button for it. It offers a maximum speed of 45 MPH. When the opportunity presents itself, the engine will stop and the electric-motor will provide all the power to the wheels. When you see the efficiency gauge at 100 MPG while city or suburb driving, this is likely the mode the system is in. Aftermarket gauges will indicate zero RPM.

3. tomr2210

tomr2210 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks John, so it looks like Stealth mode would be best for me, for usually, I travel less than 30 miles a day, and only 5 to 10 miles each trip. TOM

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll also hear EV Drive Mode to explain the former one in jonh's post as well.