1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Mode right for me???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Prius 06, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Prius 06

Prius 06 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hey guys. Would like some input here.
    I'm finally moving into my house on Aug 1. When I bought the house, gas wasn't what it is today. This is the main reason I've bought a Prius.
    Now, the house I bought is on a very steep hill.
    My idea is I can put the car in EV mode in the morning when I leave and coast all the way down the hill to the main road (about 1 km) without the ICE running, including for cat. warm up.

Among other times I can probably use it, Ie. in parking lots I find the ICE comes on and I'm not sure why.

What are your suggestions?

Brian.

2. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    uhh...
    its best to have your engine all warmed up for when you hit that main road.

The prius runs the engine each time you turn it on, which might explain the parking lot.

That or you may not be in stage 4.

3. Prius 06

Prius 06 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I am finding that the ICE is coming on in a parking lot when I go to there. I know it turns on to do it's warm up after it's been off, so that I get. But when I'm just turning into a parking lot and the battery has a decent charge it will come on, even when being polite on the pedal.
    As for hitting the main road, it's 60km/h (37mp/h) so in the winter I'd be inclined to let it warm up before I hit the road. But when it's nice and warm out I don't see why for a Km it can't just coast down the hill.

Not sure what you mean by "Stage 4"
    I'm guessing what stage the battery is in?

Thanks

4. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, its the hybrid stages.

http://www.techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/five-stages.txt

Stage 3 is when the engine coolant is below 70c, the engine will idle unless your stopped. At stage 3, the engine can only turn off at a stop or at speeds between 35-41mph.
    Stage 4 is enabled when coolant is at or above 70c, and the engine turns off when traveling at a very slow speed or at a stop. Once reached, the the engine can turn off at speeds below 41mph.

Your not in stage 4 if the engine is running.