1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV mode without the button?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by psikot, Oct 16, 2007.

1. psikot

psikot New Member

i noticed a few times that when i have green bars on the battery, the electric motor seems to engage for a longer time, assuming to keep the battery within an optimal SOC. i was wondering if there was a hack to keep the car's electric motor going above 10 mph, or above the normal change-over. thanks

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, it's called the EV button... but given your title, it seems that you are aware of the button??

In which case, what are you asking then?

3. ACORNBLUES

ACORNBLUES New Member

yeah, hack off half your foot to reduce the weight on it. If I want, I can stay on electric only up to 17mph (even in blue). But I've noticed the best strategy is to get up to speed using the ICE and glide from there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(psikot @ Oct 16 2007, 07:32 PM) [snapback]526617[/snapback]</div>

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think what you are asking for is a way to change the car's basic programming so that it uses the electric motor more.

The answer is NO. Toyota's engineers designed the HSD system for optimal performance, and although there are some very limited conditions when use of the EV switch to keep the car in electric mode can help, a "hack" to always use electric mode more would make your car LESS efficient.

As Acorn notes, lighter acceleration will hold the car in electric longer, but, as Acorn also notes, this is NOT an efficient way to drive. The most efficient is to accelerate moderately (neither very gently, nor very hard) to cruising speed.

The car will make the best decisions on use of the electric motor. Remember that the Prius is NOT an electric car. It's a hybrid and was designed to use the gas engine and electric motors TOGETHER. If you want a car that stays in electric mode, buy a Zap Xebra. It has no gas engine and always runs on pure electricity.