1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Mode worth it for me?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by hobbes49, Mar 2, 2009.

1. hobbes49

hobbes49 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I am trying to decide if it's worth the effort/warranty issues to get an EV mode switch. Our grocery store and most of the local take-out restaurants where I live are about a mile away. It's a flat road with a few stop lights, and top speed would be 30-35mph. Whether it's lunch or evening (think car being off for 2-4 hours) I make on average one of these trips a day.

Would I be able to make these round-trips in EV mode? If so, I thought it would be worth it, as obviously these trips normally put a kink in my MPG. I can stay under 34mph, just didn't know if at some point at the beginning or end if the ICE would kick in.

Thanks in advance.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Being a mile away each way, imo, won't let you make the full trip. For me, I use EV mainly to move the car around from the driveway to the street and back, maybe move around a parking lot to go from one store to the next etc. But trying to make a 2 mile trip only in EV will not really work. And even if you did the battery would be so drained at the end of the trip the engine would have to work hard just to replenish all that lost energy next time you run the vehicle.

3. avocadoman1

avocadoman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    depends if there's a way to regenerate the battery, possibly via a "pulse & glide" technique.

for me, i go downhill for the first 3/4 mile in the morning. the battery is in constant regeneration during the 1st 8 minutes while i'm in EV mode.

4. hobbes49

hobbes49 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    That was my thought. I would do P&G, also there are 3-4 stoplights in between, so if I got stuck at one or two of them there would be some regen there as well.

5. OldYogi

OldYogi New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Paradox has it right -- I too thought I might use it to get to the grocery store, but it won't get me there, let alone back again. I use it in the parking garage near my office. At current prices you could fill the tank 3 times for the cost of the switch. It is fun, though.