1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV modification and warranty -

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by VenicePrius, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VenicePrius

VenicePrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    After reveiwing the forum on EV modification, it's apparent that the best route is the OEM in dash switch from Japan (via Sigma). Has anyone had experience with this modification and their warranty? It seems obvious if you brought your car into a dealer, the swith could open a can of worms. Before I head in this direction, I am looking for more info with this regard. Thanks

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Please do a search, this has been beaten to death...

The short is, they have to be able to prove that your mod caused the problem in question. There is no such thing as "voiding the warranty", simply voiding parts of it... For example, if you put a mod in that the catches fire, you can't have the car fixed under warranty - it was their fault. but if you put in a switch like this and the engine explodes, it's still covered under warranty.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed, I'm closing this thread, this has been discussed too many times and Eagle's answer is dead on. No one has ever, on this or any forum, reported any warranty related issues w/ the EV mod.

That said, and as I've always said, you run some nominal risk. If your battery dies early and they find the EV button and want to be jerks about it they can, potentially, stick you for the cost of the battery replacement. You need to be prepared to pay that if you're going to put the EV mod in. This has not, to date, ever happened that I'm aware of, but that does not mean it can't happen. Same goes for any other mod you do to this or any car, if you cause an electrical problem or whatever they reserve the right to refuse repair under warranty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.