1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV module oem part?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tootallrls, Nov 26, 2005.

1. tootallrls

tootallrls I have Prius NV

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was wondering, since Toyota installs the EV modules in Europeon cars, is it possible to get one installed by a dealership. If so, what is the cost from Toyota and what is the installation cost?
    I would like to have the EV mode, but I'm concered about modifiying the electronics and voiding the warranty if something should happen to my Prius.
    Even if it is something unrelated to the install, and a tech spotted the module.

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mine was installed by a Toyota Tech using the factory EV switch. I got the switch from Japan but they are available ocassionally on eBay.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

You can get the EV switch from sigma for $52 as well.

http://www.sigmaauto.com/jdm/prius/prius0405.php

A US toyota tech at the dealer was actually willing to install it for you?

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, see: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=11388&hl=ifixem

I'll be going back to him next week for the recall re-flash too.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    if im lucky, he will be doing my SSC 50 P (my dealership has more than one Prius mechanic) not sure i want anyone else doing it. too many scary stories over this one going around here

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Finding a Toyota tech willing to install the switch would be a great piece of luck. But it's not a Toyota-authorized mod. My personal opinion (and opinion seems to be split) is that Toyota would not void the warranty, unless the problem was caused by the mod itself or a faulty installation of it. BUT if Toyota decided to void the warranty, I'm sure it would make no difference that a Toyota tech installed it. Toyota does not offer it in North America, and so it's an unauthorized mod regardless of who put it in. I am a klutz, and so I had some difficulty installing mine. (The Costal version, on the cruise-control stalk.) I'd sure have liked to have a proper tech install it. But in the end I got it in, and it has worked fine ever since.