1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV on a mountain road?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by nomadic1, Feb 11, 2007.

1. nomadic1

nomadic1 New Member

For a few days now I've been researching the feasibility of building my own EV using a Geo Tracker or VW Jetta donor car, Electro Automotive's Deluxe Universal Kit and 16 Trojan T-105's (6V) in series (120V).

The EV calculators such as Uve's and the one at evconvert.com (I think they may be the same system) show excellent range and speed (i.e. 110 miles at 50 MPH) but when you introduce an inclination grade into the formula, even one as small as 10%, the math goes wonky and starts showing things like only a 10 mile range at 20 MPH. Up the 10% grade to 12% and now you've only got 10 miles at 10 MPH (even using just 1% drops the 110@50 to 66@50 - ouch).

Even if I change the system voltage to something ridiculous, like 1,000V, the math still shows only 12 miles at 10 MPH on a 15% grade.

This just doesn't sound realistic to me. I know that climbing a few thousand feet over a few miles will certainly drain the batteries faster than driving on level ground but I've read stories in which the GM EV1 tailed a Porsche on a 5,000 foot climb and the car still had enough juice left over for driving around town when it came back down the hill. I've also seen golf carts (which were likely using some of these same batteries) work just fine on golf courses that are built on a 10% grade or that have good climbs somewhere along the course.

I just can't imagine that lead acid-based batteries are that much wimpier than NiMH in a vehicular application, or that the DC motors available to us are that weak compared to something GM came up with.

To give you an idea of the capability I'm looking for, my commute is from Reno, NV to Incline Village, NV (on the shore of Lake Tahoe) using Highway 431 (Mount Rose). It's only 26 miles from doorstep to doorstep but on my way in I climb from 4,500ft to 9,300ft and then drop back down to 6,500ft. The grades can be pretty steep, up to 20% in some places for a short while and some longer stretches of 5-10%. The speed limit is 50 MPH for most of the way and the traffic pattern behooves you to go that speed or very close to it. There are harsh weather conditions sometimes (snow, ice, wind, rain, temperates in the teens (F)).

2. member

member New Member

No experience with EV, but for hybrid;

I gain and lose ~4000' at least five times per week and get 43 mpg in cold weather. Purely from empirical observations, the battery can only capture about 1000' of potential energy change (mg*deltaH) which is a damned shame, but it certainly doesn't prevent the car from getting good gas mileage. This does have me wondering how I can add more battery however...

If an EV does have enough battery to recover all the energy from the highest altitude change, I don't see why EV wouldn't work just as well.

3. nomadic1

nomadic1 New Member

I wonder... Uve shows the math used to calculate the inclination drag as:

totalWeight * sin (atan (incline/100))

This looks to my untrained eye that this formula expects input only to the right of the decimal, because from what I've read the atan function has to have 2 numbers to divide but using 100 as the dividend instead of just 1 means that the quotient will always be a large negative number which is handed back to atan.

Any time you multiply a large negative number by a positive number you're going to end up with a deeply negative number, which could explain the drastic shifts in estimated range on a grade.

As such, I tried entering "0.1" for the inclination, representing a 10% grade, and the numbers look much more like what I anticipated.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on this?

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    A Prius requires about 0.15 kilowatt hours to drive on level smooth roads at 60 mph, or so I have read. For raising the car uphill, and neglecting any inefficiencies, we can use the following formula:

Potential energy (Joules) = kg * 9.8 m/sec^2 * distance climbed (meters)

A typical highway hill grade might be 6%, or 78 meters per mile. Prius may weigh 2890 lb. or 1314 kg

Potential energy = 1314 * 9.8 * 78 = 1004422 Joules

Divide by 3600 (seconds/hour) to obtain 279 watt hours, or 0.279 kilowatt hours.

Thus a Prius climbing a 6% grade requires about 3 times the energy as driving on level highway, assuming no mistakes in my math, and again neglecting inefficiencies in obtaining the climbing energy from gasoline. Data collected on the road could quantify those inefficiencies.

This can readily be recalcuated for other vehicle weights or heights climbed.

5. nomadic1

nomadic1 New Member

tochatihu,

Thank you for the formula. Assuming my donor car with batteries weighs 3,500 pounds (1,591 kg) and the grade is 10%, it looks like this:

PE = 1,591 * 9.8 * 130 = 2,026,934 joules

2,026,934 / 3600 = 563Wh, or .563kWh

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about electricity to make the proper calculations from there. The motor in my plans is rated here: http://www.electroauto.com/catalog/dcmotors.shtml (it's the first one listed: Medium Motor #203-06-4001, planning to run 96V)

And the batteries are rated here: http://www.trojan-battery.com/Products/Pro...aspx?Name=T-105

I don't understand how batteries that operate at 25-75A are expected to service a motor that draws 175A and upwards, so I don't know what formula to use in order to determine 1) if it can climb a grade, 2) what speed it can climb the grade at and 3) how long it can climb that grade before the batteries (16 of them for 96V) are depleted.

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Nomadic1,

Motor Torque is proportional to Motor Current. So, an uncoupled free spining motor will only require a very small current to maintain the speed that the applied voltage causes. Put a load on the motor, and the current required will go up to maintain speed.

A 175 A motor is rated to not burn out with 175 A. Find the torque constant in the motor spec, and multiply by the maximum current the batteries can supply, and you will get the maximum torque the motor will deliver with those batteries.

My recomendation would be to stay away from a wound-rotor motor for mountain climbing service. Like all DC motors the wound rotor motors have high low-end torque, but due to the suspended nature of the rotor, they tend to burn-out the windings in low-rpm high torque continuous service. At low vehicle speeds, the available ram cooling is small too. Additinionally, mechnical comutation is not ideal for low-rpm high torque (current) continuous service. A wound rotor DC motor usually uses a mechanical comutator. Although, I did see recently a motor company offering an electronically comutated, wound rotor motor. It had slip rings to get the field into the wound-rotor assembly, but then it has electronics on-board the rotor to comutate the windings.

I would recommend a motor with a stator winding. Windings on the stator can be more readily cooled in continuous duty high-torque application. My preference is for the socalled Brushless DC or Hybrid motors. Brushless DC motors have a permanent magnet rotor, which the stator windings act on. The Hybrid motors are a combination of the Brushless DC and the common Induction Motor (like is used in your furnace blower). They are called hybrid motors because the magnetic field is partially due to magnets imbedded in the rotor, and induction of currents that flow in the rotor due the applied fields from the stator windings. This is what is in the Prius. These motors have are economical, as the expensive magnets are smaller, although they do not have the super-massive low-end torque. Which is probably a good thing in automotive retro-fit application, as the drive train is designed for an engine, which has lower torque for the horse power. This type of motor is probably why the Prius HSD (gen II) has that 15 to 45 mph torque punch, and is a little slow up to 5 or 10 mph.

A variable frequency 3-phase drive and an induction motor might be a cheaper alternative to the hybrid or brushless-DC motor. As these motor drives might be found surplus. The state-of-the-art in induction motors is the Cast-Copper-Rotor induction motor, which Siemens just started to supply to the market. In typical induction motors, the induction bars are diecast aluminum alloy, that runs through the iron core of the rotor. This the socalled "birdcage" construction. Only recently has the ability to cast the birdcage bars out of copper been achieved, and even more recently offered for sale.

7. toyotablackbox

toyotablackbox New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    edit-vehicle sold

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Maybe darell can weigh in. I can't speek with any authority. Even so, fFrom reading posts of the Rav4-ev list, several of the folks pull hills and it doesn't seem to be as tragic as you're making out.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I know nothing about conversions. But AC Propulsion drove its li-ion tzero from L.A. to Las Vegas on a single charge. I believe that involved going through mountains. The tzero is a tiny little sports car, so it weighs less than a conventional conversion car would, but still it suggests that the drastic drop in range you are talking about is exaggerated.

You would use more electricity on the uphills, but if you have regenerative braking, you'd re-capture a good deal of that on the downhills.