1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by prairie_prius, Dec 5, 2005.

1. prairie_prius

prairie_prius New Member

I just installed the Coastal EV mod on my 2005 Prius. I know EV is of limited use, but I had an idea that I think should make it quite useful. I thought I'd seek out some opinions to tell me whether I'm right or not.

From monitoring my consumption screen, it appears most fuel is spent getting up to speed from a stop. Wouldn't it be useful just to engage EV at every stoplight, and always accelerate using the battery? The car would switch on the ICE automatically as you get up to 25 or 30, then recharge for the next light. Seems like avoiding use of the ICE during acceleration from a stop would have a lot of payback!

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks! :)

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    no it wouldnt. sooner or later, you would need the ICE to recharge the traction battery and its simply not as efficient as just driving the car moderately since losses do occur in the conversion process.

3. prairie_prius

prairie_prius New Member

I was thinking it could recharge the battery as soon as I hit 25 or 30 where the ICE would be running anyway.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It would probably not recharge between average lights, at least not around here, but try it that is how we learn and let everyone know how it comes out particularly me since I am the nay sayer. The best use I have found is at the end of a trip when you know you are going to park for a while and the system will cool off. The ICE will have to run to heat up the system and you can take advantage of additional charging. Now that it is colder and I am getting a few more green bars I will use it to use the additional energy to get down to the blue then kick it out of EV mode.

5. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I thought this thread was about something else given the title.

But there's no reason to engage EV mode. In the way you're thinking, it's already on because the gas engine cannot provide the torque to move the car at that speed from stop. Only the electric motors have the torque.

The reason the gas-engine comes on is as an assist to the electric-motors, and to charge the batteries. It also means you're accelerating faster than the protocols dictate for normal electric-only mode.

Meantime, how I was reading this topic was has anybody tried to floor the pedal when you're in EV mode and rolling along at maybe 5mph? I was only doing it to kick on the engine before I got to the stop sign.

When I did it rolling away from the hydrogen prius meet, my prius felt like it had slammed on the brakes in rougher fashion than I remember for just TRAC.

So, I'm wondering if anybody has dyno'd the car in just EV mode, or maybe I should just get grippier tires.

6. prairie_prius

prairie_prius New Member

No reason ever to engage EV mode?

If I understand what I see using my new switch, I can accelerate harder under EV than I can under hybrid mode. In hybrid mode I can never exceed about 12 MPH without the gas engine engaging, but with EV mode I can accelerate harder and get to 25 or 30 before the ICE engages.

When I look at my consumption meter during hybrid acceleration I see TERRIBLE instantaneous MPH readings, so I was thinking using the electric motor longer would be a good thing. I have tried it, and it does provide acceptable acceleration from a stop.

I understand the electric motor assists the ICE at low speeds, but I was hoping I could eliminate the terrible MPG it gets during acceleration...

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    there are a few reasons to engage EV mode. i work at a place that employs 600+ people in a building that 100 parking spots. so overflow is across the street at the FAR end of a pretty large parking lot that supplies a half dozen other buildings.

there are times that if i have the chance i might move my car over to the building if space is available, (i used to work 10 hour shifts) since i showed up early and left late, it was sometimes nice to not have to walk a long way in the rain at night, etc...blah blah...

in those cases, it would suck to start up the ICE to drive a quarter mile for two minutes and shut back down. then EV comes in handy.

there are other uses too

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the root of your question and let me tell you where your assumptions are wrong.

1)The reason that your mpg is 'terrible' while accelerating from a stop is because you need a lot more power to accelerate from the stop.

2)By using EV mode you will have the impression that you are getting better gas mileage during that acceleration phase b/c the Energy/Consumption instantaneous mpg will show 99.9mpg.

3)There are energy losses when power is converter for storage in the battery and again when it is converted from the battery to power the electric motors.

4)Finally....given the same rate of acceleration from a stop to a given speed it will take exactly the same amount of energy to achieve that speed. Because of the conversion losses (#3 above) energy from the battery will be less fuel efficient.

That said.....The above assumes you're going to travel a distance of at least ~200 feet. For shorter distances it may, indeed, be more efficient to use the battery power only...why? Because it takes additional energy from the battery to get MG1 to spin up the ICE...roughly 200 feet of travel worth of that battery power. So, if you're going less than 200 feet or so you'll use less battery power to go that distance than it takes to spin up MG1.

Also, if you're at the top of a long hill that will recharge your battery then, by all means, pull away in EV mode and drain down the battery. But assuming a level surface and a minimum anticipated travel distance of at least a couple of blocks just let the car do its own thing with the ICE.

9. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry, but you're not seeing the whole picture. EV mode just allows you to dig deeper into the battery before it kicks in the ICE. This is only really useful if you're coming to the end of a trip, just reparking the car, or something where you're going to recharge the batts soon.

It's actually quite inefficient MPG-wise to run going from gas to battery to wheels because of the energy losses incurred of getting energy in and then out of the battery.

This is one of the reasons hybrid mode doesn't let you accelerate as hard. You're also assuming you're doing something better the Toyota engineers haven't already considered over the 8-9 year history of the Prius.

Hybrid mode doesn't kick in the ICE until you're over 42mph or you're accelerating harder than moderate. You can look it up at john1701a.com, and it's called stealth mode. Also, 42mph is much better than the 30 in EV mode. It's all in your skill to keep the lead off, if you want to drive this way.

The saying is to "just drive it". All cars have terrible instantaneous MPH readings, because it just that tiny part of your overall driving graph. This is NOT where your MPG comes from.

The pulse-n-glide technique is all about accelerating harder/faster to get your engine RPMs into the more efficient range (which then has bad instantaneous numbers), but then glide for a long time so the average MPG stays high. This is where you should be focusing on.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed.

The amount you discharge accelerating from the stop will not be charged back by the next light. In essence, you'll be discharging faster than you can recharge.

If you wish, accelerate lightly without EV engage and let the car accelerate with the battery only and let the engine come on by itself. In other words, don't keep the engine off til 55km/h. Use the method you suggested but without EV engaged.

11. prairie_prius

prairie_prius New Member

Wow, from what I'm hearing, I totally believe EV mode was a MASSIVE mistake by Toyota, and THAT'S why they didn't include it in the US version! Never expected so much negativity. I believe I wasted $55!! :(

Energy losses or not, I thought I could benefit from the engine recharging the battery when it would run anyways. That sounded extremely efficient to me. But I guess not.

Well, not what I wanted to hear, but this may be useful to others so they don't waste their money. Thanks.

12. prairie_prius

prairie_prius New Member

Dude, have you ever driven a Prius? I'm sorry, this isn't true at all. I thought you were an expert. Hybrid mode kicks the ICE in at very low accelerations. If you get all the way to 42 MPH without ICE engaging under any circumstances, I certainly applaud you!!

Anyway, I got plenty of other responses I trust... So EV mode is a ridiculous mode.

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Man, you just love jumping to false conclusions. Did you think EV mode magically gave you free power/energy to use?

EV mode has times when it can be benefitial, but you didn't ask a question about that. I use EV mode quite frequently in my daily commutes and I think I use it to good effect to improve my fuel economy. I've written about it in many many threads in this and other forums.

You asked if it wouldn't be more effective in a specific situation where it clearly is not most effective. But that doesn't mean that there aren't times where it is good. I'll list a few, but this is not a comprehensive list.

1)Waiting at a stop light that you're familiar with and you know you're too far back in line to make it through before it turns red again. Great place to use EV...keeps the ICE off until you're actually ready to go and prevents it from starting when pulling forward with traffic.

2)You're approaching a light and coasting to a stop....you know you're going to come to a complete stop and can glide or coast the whole way there...tap the EV button to shut off the ICE that might otherwise run for much of that glide.

3)Moving the car around the parking lot or out of your garage to wash then back in again.

Note that the thing those all have in common is that they are times where the ICE would have run for a very short period of time taking both power from the battery to spin up the ICE and then a gas burn for just that short bit--that combination would take more power than just staying in EV mode.

And it IS possible to accerate the 2G Prius to 41mph from a stop before the ICE kicks in at 42mph. It's hard to do and conditions must be right and there's no benefit to doing so...but it can be done.

Also, you can go up to 34mph in EV button mode before it disengages, but the ICE won't, necessarily, start at that point depending upon conditions (like going downhill).

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll second Evan.

There are plenty of other circumstances that you can use the EV mode. Just because the one you suggested doesn't quite work out as efficient, you dismiss it.

Honestly, the breath of "fresh" air in an underground carpark is refreshing. I had my windows down and when my friend started his car, boy was I overwhelmed by the fumes!

15. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-stealth.htm

42mph.

Stand still while I kick you in the teeth a few times for resorting to personal attacks. :angry: Don't attack me just because you can't deal with your own disappointment over something we've been telling you since day one.

You can also let the car glide down to below 42mph, gently press the accelerator to maintain speed, and again hybrid EV mode.

Get the lead out of your ankle muscles.

16. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

I guess I have trouble accelerating to anywhere near 42 also. The only way to do it would be to accelerate at a walker's pace, and you can't do that even if you are on a road by yourself. You would just look too silly. :) Sure, I can maintain speed at 42, but no way I can accelerate there.

I think John's reference is in relation to a software-imposed limit. I.E. -- you can engage EV below 42, and you can maintain speed up to 42 without ICE, but the EV "acceleration limit" gets more sensitive the faster you go, and kicks in long before the absolute speed limit does... Even if you are gentle on the pedal.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you happen to read my post above where I said:

18. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

Yep, read it, but it appeared there was still confusion...

Also, I believe that 42 is for hybrid EV, correct? My Coastal paperwork says pure EV is 34.

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One can run on battery alone...no ICE spin or start at all...up to 41mph, then ICE will always spin at 42mph. Doesn't matter whether you're using the EV button or not.

But, EV mode itself will cancel at 34mph-IOW, the ECU override allowing for deeper discharge and greater power application from the battery alone no longer is available. BUT, it does not mean that the ICE will, necessarily, spin up just b/c EV mode is canceled. It often does, but that's mostly b/c some condition exists that would cause it to start normally.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, to clarify for others

"Forced" EV mode (i.e. with button) - 34mph
    EV mode - 41mph