1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV range drops up to 50% in winter conditions

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by jtv, Jan 11, 2011.

1. jtv

jtv /* No comment */

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    German testing and inspection organization TÃœV SÃœD has developed a standard for determining the range of electrically powered cars.

They found out that winter conditions cut EV range substantially:

source: TÃœV SÃœD GROUP - TÃœV SÃœD: Standard average values given for range of e-cars inadequate

Results were published in german car magazine "auto motor und sport".

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But is the same not true of a traditional petrol or diesel car?

In cold weather there is a much longer warm up period for cars - esp diesels, yet this isn't recorded in official fuel consumption figures. I know my old Peugeot 406 diesel struggled to warm up in cold temps (-5c) and in town the heating really sapped heat from the engine causing poor mpg figures.

3. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well.......at least you could get yours to start. I can remember many-a-time ensuring that I plugged in the engine heater on my 505D only to have the fuel gel somewhere inline, or insufficient Z from the battery to turn the thing over. And then there were the long compartment warm-ups that could only be remedied by closing the flaps on the grill cover.

As for the EV losing range, I say that this is a no-brainer so PLAN for it. IMO, people whine about too much as it is. And lets not forget that EVs are being pitched at this point in time as secondary vehicles if range is an issue. Besides, if the average person only commutes maybe 50 miles a day, this should be just fine. If you are right on the line, then PLUG IT IN more often (at work, etc.).

4. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or, wear a hat and coat. 5kw of heater will sap your range. in a petrol car we have no choice whether or not we generate several kilowatts of heat, in an EV, you do.

After a couple of weeks in my PHEV i've got used to turning the climate control off and just dealing with it. It felt nice and warm today since it got up to 11 degrees outside! when i'm doing over 46 and the engine must come on i let some heat out, when i get back under 46 it goes off again. works wonders!

Also, if you're plugged in at home (which presumably most EV owners will be) the car can pre-heat from the mains for you, having no effect on range.

All this will go away in a few years when 300mile+ EV's are rolling round. If i were a carmaker i'd start thinking about using some kind of "reserve" setup, where the car will always dedicate a few kwh's of power to heating/cooling and not make it available for traction power (unless you run out). then any really abnormal weather would have a small and possibly unnoticed effect on range. I wonder whether toyota have done this with their PHV since the 13 mile range seems shorter than it should be.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My 2004 Prius got 29 mpg in January in Fargo, North Dakota. My Zap Xebra, on the other hand, goes almost as far in winter in Spokane as it does in summer. As Flan pointed out, you can dress warm and leave the heater off, or as I do with the Xebra, use it minimally.

As for A/C, cars never used to have A/C at all! We drove with the windows open in hot weather (as I still do with the Xebra). Now, people are so used to A/C that some folks set a comfortable temperature and let it run all the time. People complaining that A/C and heat will reduce the range of an EV are like someone stranded in the desert who refuses a canteen of water because it's not Perrier. Sheesh!

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    All cars have inferior fuel economy in extreme weather, and EVs do not have ICE waste heat for the cabin in the winter. I think the larger confusion and angst stems from testing the cars in moderate conditions. TUV has the right idea