1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Switch... HOV Lane Use

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ~sparky~, May 8, 2005.

1. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

simple question (i think) about the EV switch...

i've ordered a prius for so many reasons, but being able to drive in the HOV lane would be icing on the cake. i hope the transportation bill will clear the path for us, but am thinking about something else here.

our dept of transportation in arizona allows dedicated alt fuel vehicles to use the HOV lanes, but not hybrids. they say it's because hybrids rely on gas to operate - that they don't have the ability to go 'dedicated source' with an alternative fuel - by flipping a switch.

...but the coastaltech EV switch would allow me to do that, right?

so wouldn't that satisfy them and get me the AF plate? what am i missing here?

have others tried this?

any advice appreciated... thx! :)

2. DanP

DanP Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(~sparky~\";p=\"87918)</div>
    The EV switch only keeps you in EV mode up to about 32 mph, as I recall (picture yourself doing 30 mph in a 75 mph zone). Even then, you wouldn't get very far on the highway before the batts needed charging--a few miles at most.

3. xevious

xevious New Member

It depends on the wording of the law and how much trouble you want to go to in order to force a court decision if the law is poorly worded.

(The old Federal "primarily powered by" clause comes to mind...)

The Prius is most definitely NOT an alternative energy vehicle as its sole source of energy is good ol' gasoline.

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I asked about it when I registered my car in AZ after moving from CA - they said no go. Unless it ws solely electric, or at least plugin, it wouldn't qualify as an AFV.

This was per an inspector at the Surprise MVD office.

5. losangeleschet

losangeleschet New Member

In CA it has to be capable of going highway speed while using the alternative form of energy, so it wouldn't fly since you can't go over 34MPH with the switch. This is the same reason vehicles like the GEM car aren't allowed HOV stickers.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Not to mention it can't go farther than 3 miles.

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What about the new federal bill?

8. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

Arizona's motor vehicle code provides for hybrids using the HOV lane (after getting a decal for less then 10$), if and when the feds allows it. So, as soon as congress finishes with the bill, and W signs it (fingers crossed), we'll be all set.

9. losangeleschet

Yep, same thing in CA. If W does the one thing in his career that I'll ever agree with and signs the bill, certain hybrids (basically the Prius, Civic, and Insight) will be allowed in the CA HOV lanes. But only the first 75,000 to apply will get stickers. I like that approach because it will keep the HOV lanes from being overwhelmed. If it becomes free-for-all you can bet they outcries from carpoolers would cause the state to reverse and once again banish hybrids. Needless to say I am checking the CA Air Resources Board website constantly!

Personally I think they should make the left TWO lanes HOV during the rush, and force all SUV's to use only the far right lane and obey truck speed limits. That'll teach 'em!

10. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First dumb question - I think I already know the answer, but here goes... I am registered in TX but do drive through AZ and CA to visit family. Would I be able to get registered to drive in the HOV lanes while I am there?

11. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  12. losangeleschet

Nope, you have to be registered in CA to get HOV stickers. You can, of course, use the HOV lane without a sticker if you have two or more people in the car. Watch out on the LA HOV lanes, you can only enter and exit at certain points. Crossing the double-yellow is up to almost $400 now!