1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Switch Installed!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by BT Tech, Jun 5, 2005.

1. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have been wanting to do the EV mod for a few weeks now but kept putting it off until yesterday!! It was another windy and raining day here in South Florida and it gave me the perfect excuse to finally install my switch.

I personally can not see spending 50 dollars or more on a simple rocker switch so I shopped around and found a high quality rocker with little dimples on it which happens to match the texture of the key slot so looks OEM. I paid all of 6 dollars for the switch and about an hours time installing it and running the wire to the ECU.

For those looking to do this mod, the instructions in the FAQ are excellent but it is A LOT easier to just grab the ground right next to where the switch is mounted. Simply run a wire aprox 9" or so to the metal frame which makes for a perfect grounding point.

I put everything back together like factory and here she is!!

Brian
    BT Tech

2. bobc

bobc New Member

Brian,

That looks great!

Where did you get the switch?

Cheers,

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Make sure the switch is momentary. Rocker switches usually aren't.

4. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello Dan.. Yes, the switch is a momentary contact and it has a nice quality "click" and feel to it.. I never knew how hard it would be to try to find a switch with just the correct "feel" !!! :)

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"96057)</div>

5. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey Bob.. I purchased the switch from a local marine store. I still have the original box it came in so when I get home later this evening, I will let you know the exact part number.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobc\";p=\"95983)</div>

6. gnerate

gnerate New Member

Nice job, I bought one of those factory switches and i will be installing it tonight. I will let you guys know how it goes. I already have pre wired it and got the pin soldered on. All I have to do is hook it to the dimmer connects and pin 27 and mount it... Yes I did pay alot for the switch ( i am an idiot ).. I do like the factory look...Gary...

Does anyone know if the head unit is Ip-bus / av-bus compatible since I see the XM unit has the connectors and is oem pioneer. I want to hook up a xvd-p90 dvd changer and work it thru the touchscreen...Thanks

7. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sounds Great Gary!! I thought too about purchasing one of the factory switches on Ebay but I just could not justify spending that amount on a simple switch!! It will look factory though and the dimming feature is a nice touch!!

While I had mine apart doing the install, I was thinking of a cool mod. I would like to be able to control the steering wheel switch lights with the dimmer control. Right now, the dimmer has no effect on the intesity which IMO is WAY too dim!!

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gnerate\";p=\"96799)</div>

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Head unit, MFD, JBL Amp, NAV and Gateway are all AVC linked devices. It does seem to be IP-Bus, but IP-Bus is a data link layer protocol. There's no telling if third party implementation of IP-Bus would be compatable with Toyota's implementation.

For example, there is a list of IDs that the MFD and related components would understand and know what to do with. You could have devices with IDs outside this list, but none of the existing devices would know what it was and how to control it.

Think of IP-Bus as Ethernet. You could run IPX or IP on Ethernet, and neither would directly work with the other.