1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV switch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by richlaz, Aug 1, 2007.

1. richlaz

richlaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm a newbie - have only had my 07 Prius for 3 days, but have a couple of questions that maybe someone can answer:
    1. I've read a lot about the EV switch, including some who say it doesn't afffect fuel economy. If that's the case, why have it?

2. I've noticed on the energy screen, that the blue lines in the battery icon never get above about 2/3, but every once in a while, the lines turn green and fill the icon for a few seconds. Can anyone tell me what that means?

Richlaz

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Welcome! :)

1. Some use the EV during their commute. I use it when I'm moving around a large parking lot or short distance where I don't need the engine to run.

2. The amount you see on the energy screen is something between 40% and 60%. The Prius likes to stay in the middle of that screen, but when you go down a hill (at least for me) it'll reach green. Since it doesn't like that, the engine may spin (without actually running) to lose some of that energy.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat and Prius-dom!

Just my opinion, but I would suggest a newbie take some time to learn and understand how the HSD system works, and how the EV switch might affect its function, before installing the switch. I am convinced it saves me fuel in certain situations, but it would be easy for the uninformed to misuse it and hurt fuel economy.

4. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found