1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Switch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius2009, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Prius2009

Prius2009 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Can an EV stitch be install on a prius that did not come with one? If so were does one find it and who installs it. Does it void the

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I see you're kinda new here by the # of posts. Please do a search before posting a question like this. There have been several how-to's and threads on the subject.

In a nutshell - yes, one can be added w/ the right parts and some elbow grease. Toyota has threatened the warranty in some cases, and in others required the button removed before performing warranty work.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    NOTHING can void the warranty if it does not break something else. There is no such thing as "voiding the warranty." All that can happen is something isn't covered under warranty if it is found that something you did broke the thing you want fixed under warranty.

How. Many. Times. Can. This. Be. Said?

That said... here's my page on the EV switch: Prius EV Mode

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here is my writeup on how I've used it, with a link in the first sentence to installation details.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Battery failure could be considered breaking something. There is at least one documented case where Toyota initially refused to honor the HV battery warranty because of the installation of an EV switch. You can make a good case that the EV switch merely enables a function already available in other countries. Regardless, Toyota America claimed the added EV switch hastened the death of the HV battery and therefore voided the warraenty. They eventually relented, and agreed to honor the warranty if the EV switch was removed and not reinstalled.

Tom

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Yet it's on the 2010 model - AND is and has been in the HiHy. I think that will void -ANY- chance for Toyota to claim the EV switch causes something bad in a court! -Especially- if you purchase the OEM switch and install it.

Of course if you don't want to have to go to court then don't install the switch. It doesn't really do much useful.

7. Prius2009

Prius2009 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have no luck finding any info on the search. This is a very user un frendly site and I have a heck of a time getting any info. Then they schange the site to be hadrer to use. But I keep tring to figure things out.

8. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Admittedly, the native search function leaves a little to be desired, but that's not the site's fault; it's the forum software. Otherwise, the site is most definitely not user unfriendly, IMHO. And nothing about the site's functionality has changed recently, only cosmetics.

I generally prefer the Google search utility, available via the same search button at the top of the page. A quick search using that with the terms "EV switch" yields dozens of useful threads. Try "EV button" too.

Meanwhile, the link I provided above has multiple other links within it. Those and Darell's link should get you started.

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's not very hard. Try these results:

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=EV+switch&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=priuschat.com&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images]- Google Search[/ame]

Tom

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tom -

Yup! And that is still not "voiding the warranty." The question usually implies that Toyota will suddenly be under no obligation to cover anything once you modify the car in any way.

Your point is well taken, of course. And really... was my point as well.

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh I see: the typical "All is null and void" scare tactic. It's amazing how often that comes up.

Tom

12. lys

lys AerodynamicMac

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in Europe the EV switch is always OEM, and yes, I find it useful when I want to move the car around in our little town and don't want to warm up the ICE.
    I can go to get some gallons of water (awful chlorine taste at home), and return with the ICE perfectly slept.

Pure EV transport!

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I test drove a HiHy Limited when they first came out here, and honestly don't recall an EV button

However, today I swung by my Toyota dealer and they had a 2009 HiHy Limited in the showroom. This is a much different HiHy compared to the one I saw 3 years earlier

I was sorely tempted to take one for a spin. The interior is much nicer, the nav is great, backup camera, etc etc. Let's not forget the EV button and the "Econ" button

Apparently the Econ button helps to get the max fuel economy out of the HiHy. Not sure how, exactly. Maybe a test drive will uncover the secret