1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV switches on eBay

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Godiva, May 26, 2005.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Do not know who the seller is but says these are not aftermarket but genuine Toyota parts.

Don't know if this is Coastal Tech selling on eBay or someone else. Location is North Hollywood, CA.

Says it's easy to install.

Seller has several up right now. $50.

eBay EV Switch

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

One thing he doesn't mention is if it comes with the mating plug and the pins for the plug, though you could makeshift something, or solder leads directly onto the pins on the switch.

See the KB on OEM EV switch install for details on what is needed.

3. roso

roso New Member

I had sent an email prior to purchase. It does, come with the switch and housing. I have purchase a receiver from him, prior, very fast and it came from North Hollywood Toluca lake area and he is reliable.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, we decided to order one. We'll report back when we get it and let all know how the installation went and etc. :)

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i be interested, lemme know... i know ya'll said you would check back when you got yours, but if i dont post i wont get notification that u answered

6. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hm, I've been thinking of getting one and via eBay seems like much easier than getting importing it from Japan. Can anyone who has bought one of these (not via eBay, but importing from Japan or by other means) comment on how much it cost? $50 + $10.95 for shipping seems kind of expensive, but I suppose it may be worth it for the convenience...

7. roso

roso New Member

I bought one, and its better than waiting from Coastal for which I hard time of calling and geting a honest answer. Anyway, its easier geting it from ebay and the cost it almost the same. Give or take a couple of dollars.

Its me my feeling...

Ro

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Roso, I hope you realize this EV button is a much different install that the Coastal one. A bit more labor intensive and more dismantaling and wire splicing required.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    soooo, coastal tech would be the easiest?

AND

would that make it easy?

10. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The one on eBay is the official Toyota EV button. The end result would be an EV mode that functions the same way as a Japanese/European Prius. The installation involves a bit of work with the instructions found here which are derived and reference this. Basically, you have to route a wire through the dash from the empty spot next to the light dimmer to the ECU in around the right-hand side of the glove compartment. Soldering and mucking with connectors is necessary as well to some clothes hanger manipulation to route the wire.

The one from Coastaletech is much simpler installation-wise, since it uses the cruise control cancel wire near the computer already and uses that to toggle EV mode. You just need to clip some connectors together. The result is a EV mode enabled car which is essentially hidden (maybe useful if you want to hide your little mod from Toyota service techs).

I've not actually done either, but that's what I've gathered from studying both methods. I'm planning to do the official Toyota EV button mod, at some point, tho'.

11. roso

roso New Member

Guys or ladies...

Whether its the factory item or Coastal item, regarless, there is work to be done on the installation. I dont have to much faith on Coastal. At least I am happy.

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well with so many reports of coastal tech disappearing frequently, i was hesistant, but ultimately i dont recall hearing about anyone who never got what they ordered, just took a while to be be shipped.

as coastal tech acknowledges the fact that they are overwhelmed at times, i went ahead and ordered from them.

besides... the guy's name is Dave...so he must be a good guy!!

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Roso,
    No one is being critical of your decision. I just wanted to make sure you appreciated the difference b/w the two as the OEM version is significantly more difficult requiring soldering, running the wire all the way behind the dash, taping into the dimmer switch if you want the OEM to light up, finding your own ground, etc.

Coastal's is like 2 wire taps and plug the pin into the ECU plug.

Coastal is difficult to contrast but extremely trustworthy. Can anyone tell you that about your EBay seller?

It's totally your choice, I just want to make sure you understand all the facts. If so, and you're happy, then bully for you.

14. roso

roso New Member

I know, nothing personal. Don't worry, I apreciate you support.

ro

15. gregchri

gregchri New Member

I went ahead and ordered one this evening with Buy It Now. I will give an update when I receive it.
    I have read up on the installation including the Costal Tech EV mod, and feel comfortable with the work involved with the factory EV switch.

Greg C.

16. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got mine from Japanparts.com and the total was $47 including shipping. It reached me in 5 days - but then I live in CA too. I am waiting for some other items first before I install it, including getting the alarm installed/turned on I bought first.

17. jdfoster

jdfoster New Member

Hello for the uninformed what does this EV switch do. Thanks Jim

18. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ryogajyc\";p=\"93163)</div>
    I believe that problem was fixed long ago.

19. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hubby pulled a few panels off the dash and said it should be an easy install. I can write up instructions for the rest of you for this particular switch after we get through the install if anyone's interested- htmlspinner's instructions, although good (and no offense to you whatsoever) were a little more work than necessary, or so I'm told.

Anyone know if the indicator is still in the dash? We looked with a flashlight but couldn't see anything. Wonder if we took the IC out if we could find the spot where it goes? Now that would be awesome.

Well either way we'll play around with it and see what we can do :)

20. jeepien

jeepien Member

It uses the cruise cancel wire, but I would not say it "hijacks" it, since the cruise control continues to function normally. A better word would be that it "mulitplexes" onto the cancel wire.

It does not have any affect on the minimum speed at all.