1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Tax Credit is Nonrefundable!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by priushippie, Jan 5, 2011.

1. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This means that it is based on what you owe. If you owe nothing at tax time you get nothing! Lets say that at tax time you owe Uncle Sam $3000. If you are getting an EV tax credit of $7500 it means that the $3000 you owe is negated and you owe nothing. The other $4500 is lost for good. Only refundable tax credits will give you money back. This changes everything for me. :eek: I never owe because they take out tons of $ as I work so I guess I won't be buying a leaf unless there is some kind of loophole.:confused: I really like the leaf! :Cry:

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you sure about the credit being lost? Check with a tax person before you spill too many tears. I don't know US tax laws, but here, as long as you've paid more than the tax credit, whether it was deducted at source or paid upon filing, you'll get the full credit.

3. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Every website that I could find said that the nonrefundable tax credit is just that "nonrefundable". You get no refund just a credit against what you owe. This is federal. I don't know about the state tax credits like in California.

4. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    What you owe/get refunded at tax time is just settling the balances. Basically you calculate total tax owed (based on incomes, deductions, and credits) and total tax already paid (withheld), and then the difference is paid to the proper party. This number is not the basis for nonrefundable tax credits. It's the total tax owed that matters. Check your return from last year.

ETA: Nonrefundable credit means that the credit cannot be used to make your total tax owed below zero. I think the confusion is the word "refund". In the context of a tax credit, refund does not mean a refund from excess withholding.

1 person likes this.
  5. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am confused and have to go home. I'll look into this further.

6. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You, along with millions of others confuse Total Tax Owed with the amount you have already paid in. The amount paid in through payroll deduction determins if you still owe or if a refund is due, eg: Your total tax obligation on line 44 of your 1040 is $10,000. The amount you've already paid, from payroll deduction is $8,000 (line 61). Since in this example line 44 is greater than line 61, you will have to send the IRS an additional $2,000. If it were the reverse, Line 44 was $8,000 and line 61 was $10,000, you would get a refund of $2,000.
    Now that we have that straight, let's throw in the $7,500 Tax Credit. Line 44 is $10,000 you owe. Line 61 is $8,000 you've already paid, plus the $7,500 in credit means you have a total of $15,500 (8,000+7,500) paid in. Since you only owe $10,000 and your credit is $15,500, you would get a refund check for $5,500 from the IRS.
    I hope that makes sense. Now, it is true that you can not be refunded an ammount greater than you actually paid in, so had the numbers been such that you had a final credit of $8,500 (line 61 minus line 44), the IRS would only refund you $8,000 because you had only paid in $8,000 through you payroll taxes. (in other words, if you only had $7,000 deducted by payroll, you can only get a check back for 7K, reguardless of how much the credit is for, unless it is a refundable credit and the EV credit is not a refundable credit)
    Does anyone know if any unused credit will role over into the next year?
    Hope that helps,
    Tom

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Priushippie: Politburo and thbjr are correct. I'll try to say it in different words: For the purpose of the nonrefundable tax credit, the amount you "owe" is your total tax obligation for the year. Your employer takes money out of your pay check and applies it against this total amount owed. If your employer took more than you owe, the difference is refunded to you. The tax credit for buying an EV (assuming the EV qualifies) reduces the amount you owe in total for the year, and therefore increases the amount of your tax refund at the end of the year.

The confusion arises in the use of the word "nonrefundable," which means that the IRS will not give you back more than you've paid in.

Calculate (or estimate) the total amount of your federal income tax for the calendar year in which you will buy the EV. If that total amount is less than the credit (in this case $7,500) then you will pay no taxes and you will be refunded the entire amount that was withheld from your pay. If your total tax obligation is more than $7,500 then $7,500 will be deducted from your total tax obligation and the remaining amount will determine if you still owe or if you get a refund.

1 person likes this.
  8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I want to meet the person who buys an EV yet has less than $7500 federal taxes. I bet it would make for an interesting story.

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's conceivable, if all your income comes from municipal bonds. Not a wise investment strategy, but possible.

10. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I never thought of it this way, but if you are sure to buy an EV in a given year you could in theory add a deduction or 4 to your W4 to lower the tax deducted from each paycheck. As long as you calculate it correctly and do not owe at the end of the year it should be kosher.

11. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for straightening that out! I was misled. It is good to have people on this website that have a broad band of knowledge. Excuse the pun! The Leaf will make a great car parked next to the Prius.

12. ggcc

ggcc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bought 2007 Prius on Nov 2006; I thought I will get around $1,500.00 Tax credit, but I did not get any because my AMT (Alternative Minimum Tax) line 45 is not zero!!

There was A ‘patch’ to the Alternative Minimum Tax for tax year 2008 and 2009 allowed this credit to be claimed by those paying the AMT (I think this was applied for Civic GX CNG but not Prius)!!

I think if your tax Form 1040 line 45 is not zero, you might not get any tax credit. I am not sure if we have a AMT patch for 2010-2011 or not.

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If the EV credit is a misc. credit then it probably is affected by AMT, just like the hybrid credit was.

The AMT 'patch' must have been enacted after Toyota's credit expired.

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am under the impression that the tax credit for buying an EV is not affected by AMT. But I'm not entirely certain of that. I'd be interested if there's a tax professional who actually knows.

15. ggcc

ggcc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    More information...

Federal Tax Credit for Electric Vehicles Purchased in or after 2010

Phase Out & Termination

less... The credit begins to phase out for vehicles at the beginning of the second calendar quarter after the manufacturer produces 200,000 eligible plug-in electric vehicles (i.e., plug-in hybrids and EVs) as counted from January 1, 2010. IRS will announce when a manufacturer exceeds this production figure and will announce the subsequent phase out schedule.
    [​IMG]

Claiming the Credit

less... Fill out Form 8936[​IMG], Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit.
    [​IMG] For vehicles acquired for personal use, report the credit from Form 8936[​IMG] on the appropriate line of your Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return[​IMG].
    For vehicles purchased in 2010 or later, this credit can be used toward the alternative minimum tax (AMT).
    If the qualifying vehicle is purchased for business use, the credit for the business use of an electric vehicle is reported on Form 3800[​IMG], General Business Credit.

16. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The 2010 version of Form 8936 is not yet published. Presuming the only change will be the year date it will be reported on line 53c of Form 1040. This credit can not be used to reduce the income tax below 0. It is not affected by AMT as the hybrid credit was back in 2006.

Taxpayers with large education or child credits will be the ones most likely unable to (fully) take this credit.

1 person likes this.
  17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks, Jim.

18. Cactuscoug

Cactuscoug CactusCoug

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A couple, married, filing jointly with a fully funded H.S.A. account can earn more than $93,000 and still be in the 15% tax bracket. That bracket dictates that Capital Gains and Dividends are taxed at 0%.

It is conceivable that a retiree with income from Munis, and a stock portfolio would pay very little in tax.