1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV trailer range extender

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by efusco, Sep 23, 2011.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was on the other side of the planet when this came out almost a year ago, but it's brilliant, IMO.

Key things I like:
    1)It's self propelled--no drag (or very little) on the EV as it matches the vehicle speed.

2)Diesel--should be efficient and allows the option of biodiesel (you could bring your own if you want).

3)Cargo area--so you're not just hauling a generator, you've actually got nice enclosed cargo space for your extra stuff too--which is a good thing esp. for small EVs.

This, IMO, makes so much more sense than the Volt "range extender" that you have to haul around everywhere you go even when you're not going very far. I'll have to give this serious consideration when I get my Model S as it would be an ideal long distance trip solution. The only drawback is that it costs almost as much as a small car at $15k.

Range-Extending Trailer Charges Your EV, Carries Your Gear | Autopia | Wired.com

2. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

They're not the first. If you've got a Rav4EV sitting around, you could use the "Long Ranger" to get extra range. Rav Long Ranger

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That is why I was disappointed that the Leaf has it charge port in the nose.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I thought it was a joke when it was first announced back then. Umm, you guys did see the price, right?

$15,000

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen other similar items, but I'm taken by the incorporation of the self-propelled feature of the trailer I posted as well as the added cargo space.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how does sel propelled effect handling of your primary vehicle?

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No idea but I woudn't expect it to have much impact.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    huh. i guess you'd have to try it. definitely a radical idea.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Jimbo, you don't use the nose port to access a connection point for trailer/generator CS mode. I believe the RAV4-EV gen-set went through the braking/regen path. That makes sense, because the regular charge ports (side OR nose) are designed to be accessed only after the EV's are turned off.
    Well shoot - if the trailer is self propelled, then let it push the EV and eventually it'll regen! . . . . . maybe even ride the brakes for even quicker regen.
    ;)

Now - if it's PORTABILITY you're lookin' for . . . trailer shmailer . . . . how can you beat THIS:
    ;)

Attached Files:

10. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was thinking instead of towing a trailer one could install a trailer hitch then get one of those hitch carrier racks and put a small quiet Honda EU2000 generator on it.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Or just a trailer with a generator driven by the trailer wheels. That way you wouldn't need gas. In the mountains you could sell the surplus power.

Tom

12. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Will an electric car take a charge from a small generator like that? I thought the "quality" of the electricity from small generators like that would not be accepted by the car's charger?

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That particular Honda Generator is technically called a generator/inverter (hence the 'i' in its 'EU2000i" model designation) - because it cleans up its electric power prior to transmission. From the Honda generator web page:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Interesting, thanks. So if one was a Leaf owner, for example, that could be used for an emergency charge?

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Right!
    But it gets even better - Check out the attached pictures. To demonstrate how flexible EV's can be, some VERY knowledgeable folk have taken the EV emergency generator idea, one step farther. By using a BIG generator, and bypassing normal recharge requirement of "ignition off" (think EV regen - it happens while driving) . . . below is an example using an 11kWh generator. A generator of THAT size has got enough power to SUSTAIN battery charge, as long as speeds don't exceed 60mph (on level roads). So, yea - tiny generator using 120V will 'emergency' charge over MANY hours. A big honker like this could do a 24kWh traction pack in about 90 minutes! And for those with more questions, this 11kWh generator burns at an equivalent rate of a vehicle getting 27mpg. Not too shabby, for a SUV carrying a very heavy load. So if the EV were smaller, lighter, more aerodynamic, think how small a genset could theoretically be. I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before the smart people do it to other EV's.
    ;)

Attached Files:

16. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Very interesting. Thanks.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm lost -- why is this such a hot idea ? I get the range extending solution part, but you seem (?) to be arguing for the GM EREV serial-hybrid idea, which so far has not panned out.

Or are you just hoping that GM dumps the current ICE in the Volt and uses a Honda engine instead ? ;)

18. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It seems cool, but you did read all the way to the end - it is theoretical - not even a prototype has been made so it is just vaporware.

19. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here's what puts up a red flag for me: From Evan's quote above:

“We made it so it never taxes the electric car, so that the electric car never has to tow anything,â€

But as stevemcelroy points out above, they have not actually made anything: it's a concept. They also make the claim of 116 mpg when the generator is powering the car, but again, since there is not even a prototype, this is dishonest: They are making performance claims for a nonexistent machine.

Most production EVs cannot be charged while running. There are lots of posts about about how this can be gotten around, and perhaps it's been done with the Rav4EV, but again, this outfit seems to be claiming it will work with any EV, even though every EV will probably require different ways of getting around it, and manufacturers might not cooperate, fearing lawsuits.

A legitimate company would say things like "we hope," "our goal is," etc., rather than making present-tense statements about performance.

This idea is very nice. I believe this is a con, intended to attempt to raise investment capital which will be used to pay a salary to the con artist until the money runs out, just like EEStor.

That said, the idea of a trailer that could be used only when extended range is needed, is a good one. Of course, if the trailer is as expensive as a car, why not just buy an ICE car for the long trips? Especially when most families have two cars anyway!

Evan, are you going to sell your Prius when you get your Tesla? If not, you really don't need the trailer. Just leave the Model S at home and take the Prius for longer trips. I call BS on anyone who seriously claims that this trailer will get better mileage than a Prius. Wind drag alone makes that unlikely. And of course, diesels stink. And finally, since their target market is one-car EV families who need the added range and can pay $15,000, their business model is extremely weak. Smart folks would rent a car for that occasional longer trip.

20. Prius 06

Prius 06 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid