1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Mar 22, 2006.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Greetings~

We oldtimers can remember the Citicar small cheese wedge shaped car "pure EV baby". Plug it in & charge it overnight..

They have come a long way since the kit car look the EV-1 looked like somthing from the "jetsons", the Rav-4 & the ford ranger.

Now these vehicles are worshiped by EV enthuisists, even though the vehicles only get 50 -100 miles to a charge(Not a vehicle to take a long trip in. EV enthuisists have argued that they have set up charging stations around the U.S. at other EV enthuisists homes...( im guessing you can sit around a strangers house and talk EV while you charge) Some manufacturers have come out with some neat local commuter EV vehicles that will make great 3rd cars

Now these are new EV vehicles that are tagged and driving on the local roads, they look cool but not very safe in a side impact.

The GEM Car 2seater Sport model & the family wagon four seater.
    [attachmentid=2674] [attachmentid=2675]

I am guessing since these vehicles are being mass produced, EV is hear to stay
    We can just hope they will find a way the EV can regenerate its self . Electric Hybrid..

Or will the auto manufacturers continue to make a cpl and put them out on the street only to take them back and crush them? Will the new EV's of today just be a passing fad? Or will EV continue to seem as a hobby...?

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    These cars are clearly not intended for road use. When I was looking around for warmer places to live than Fargo, I spoke to folks who spend summers in retirement communities in AZ, where everybody drives these sorts of cars around the community. Distances that you and I would probably walk, but some old folks cannot or don't want to.

They are much better than a motorized wheelchair (if you don't actually need a chair) but they are a niche vehicle, not a city road auto.

They have their place, and are a great idea for their niche. But no replacement for the true EVs that the car companies refuse to build nowadays.

Personally, I think the concept of the plug-in hybrid works the best in today's market: a car that would be a pure EV for the 30 to 50 mile range, which would be 90 to 95% of most people's driving, but would have a 350 to 500 mile range for trips.

3. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I believe such EVs are limited to roads with a speed limit of 35 MPH or less, which excludes highways and many suburban boulevards. For side street trips to the market they are great, but even as a commuter vehicle, they are not practical for legal and safety reasons.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I've seen these used by Security at malls. They do fill a niche and seem to work well there.