1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV?????

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Firefighter, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Firefighter

Firefighter New Member

I'm confused about the EV "option"???
    I've read all the posts on the forum and still do not know what to do?

I love gadgets but as I see it, I spend $ 45.00 for the kit and install it and what do I get for my money?

I get perhaps 2 mpg in addition to what I get now, if I am paying close attention to engageing the unit on my last few miles home in slower non highway traffic? YES?

I worry that Toyota down the line like when I am in my 7th year of the battery warranty, says OOPS! you modified the system, we can't honor your warranty, hand over $ 3,000 for a new battery pack? YES

I must be missing something? YES Please someone, what's the real story here? Ed

2. kDB

kDB New Member

First, there are a lot of reasons to use the EV switch. To move the car around a small distance without having the ICE turn on when you don't need it. To show off the quietness of the car. And those few times where it would actually be beneficial to your MPG. Do you need it for good MPG, no.

As for the warranty, there is no definitive answer. Toyota has not announced it would void the warranty. Now if the EV switch does cause the HSD system to fail, then it could be a problem. But then Toyota has the switch on Prius in Europe and Japan... Final answer, you'd have to find out when it happens, or in court.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First of all, you don't need to spend $45. You can try out the EV mode for a couple of bucks by purchasing a $2 momentary switch and some wire at Radio Shack and doing a temporary install to try out the feature.

If you like it you can upgrade to an OEM switch from sigmaautomotive.com or elsewhere or you can get the cruise control option from Coastaletech.com.

There is always the slight possibility of warranty issues if your battery dies early and that should be part of your decision making process. You have to accept that risk if you get the mod. If you're not willing to accept that then don't get the mod.

Finally, there is no assurance of an increase in FE with the mod. Many people use it improperly early on and have a drop in FE. But many of us use it with good success under a number of conditions and are convinced it has a small but positive effect on FE. It is a fun option to have and makes you feel like you're taking full advantage of the system as Toyota originally designed it (you know that Japan and EU it is OEM).

I probably hit the EV button anywhere from 4-10 times on my usual commute. If the ICE isn't shutting off as I approach a stop sign, I hit it. As I'm approaching the driveway at work, I hit it. As I'm leaving work I hit it at start up so as to not have the ICE start and run while I'm sitting going no-where. Once traffic starts and I'm merged in I hit it again, the ICE fires up and helps with motivation.

I do NOT use it as the sole source of motivation for extended periods, to accelerate from a stop or any such thing that would cause the SOC to drain to a low level or something like that that might lead to early battery demise.