1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EVAN--HELP!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by arniesalsared, Oct 5, 2007.

1. arniesalsared

arniesalsared Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Evan: This may not be the right place to ask, but- Some months back I was asking for help with my wife's '06 poor milage problem. We have 4 Prius's in the family and they all get the usual 49 to 50 MPG but the wife. Have been all through the usual trouble shooting elimination process including tire pressure, driving style, ambient temperature, fuel etc. Had the regional rep check it out with no joy. Someone suggested checking wheel alignment as a last resort regardless of the visual normal tire wear. I have the results and can't remember who the expert was. Who should I consult on the impact of the results of the check on fuel economy?

Thanks, Arnie[attachmentid=11853]

Attached Files:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yikes, bad scan. Looks like that left front is out enough to be corrected...right may be a little outside spec too...I can't remember the numbers. I don't think the rear are a big issue and they can't really be adjusted by the dealer anyway.

Maybe someone can help.

3. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(arniesalsared @ Oct 5 2007, 11:57 AM) [snapback]521774[/snapback]</div>
    How many miles has it done? Tried fuel injectors/manifold flushing? It's possible to get unusual fuel system clog-ups from contaminated fuel through improperly filtered gas station bowsers, might be worth a check.

4. arniesalsared

arniesalsared Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's been that way since new. 20,000 miles. Did the brake rotor test and temperature was normal, so probably no brake drag. Not much left other than subtle engine problems.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd suggest you swap vehicles for a few weeks with one of your family who routinely get 50mpg on their commute and see if they get their expected performance and if your wife's mpg in the swapped vehicle are the same as her usual or are higher.
    My bet is that this is commute and driver dependent more than a vehicle problem.

6. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Evan is correct I think. I get horrible mileage (for a prius) about 38 MPG, but my morning commute is so short that the car is just getting warmed up when I get to work. One of the reasons I got the prius is because I am going to have to do a significant amount of local travel for my work. I expect mileage figures to start to jump as soon as I start moving around.