1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Evangelical Ownership

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Godiva, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I haven't been able to get my Dad to even ride in my car.

But tonight he was telling our neighbors all about my car.

My parents were invited out to dinner by their neighbor and his son and daughter in law. They called and said I was invited too. We met at a local restaurant.

While waiting for the neighbor's kids I showed my Dad my car, popped the hood and explained a little.

After we ate my Dad asked the neighbors if they wanted to see my new car. When we got there some people were standing around looking at it too. I popped the hood and my Dad proceeds to tell them everything I had told him. The bystanders asked a few questions and my Mom pops in with how the dash is like a space ship. So I get in and show them. I turn it on and my Dad is like.....it's on, notice how quiet it is.

Everyone was pretty amazed. Especially when I told them the mileage.

The bystanders were pretty intrigued. They askeda about price and how much my loan payments are and what rate I got. I advised them to go to the dealership I went to and ask for the salesman I had. And to finance through their credit union. Then to sign up at priuschat.com

So...has anyone else been preaching the Gospel of the Hybrid according to Toyota? Anyone else the center of attention at show and tell time?

I wonder how long it will be before my Mom or Dad get adventerous enough to try to drive it. No way I'm giving them a spare key...can't really afford to have one made.

Well...my Dad will have to ride in it eventually. I'm taking him to L.A. in August to see the Tut exhibit. I've already got the owner's manual marked to page 9 so he can read how the car works. He's a retired eletrical engineer and I haven't seen him this curious about new technology in a long time. And I'll get a chance to see what kind of mileage I get on a long run. L.A. and back on one tank of gas.

If only they would sell their Caddy and buy a Prius. But I think that will be several years from now. Gas needs to get more expensive, they need more miles on their Caddy and a BIG repair bill...and the Prius has to have seats that are a little more comfortable and a few more emenities. It's the luxury of the Caddy they really like. And the status. The idea of owning a Cadillac that they like. But a lot can happen in a few years. The Prius is almost there. Maybe the 2009 model?

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Way to go! :clap:

One of the reasons there are so many Prius owners who are Evangelists -- it's fun! Most people are genuinely interested -- and there's a lot of good stuff to tell them about.

I never try to convince people to buy a Prius -- I tell them I love the car too much to give them an unbiased opinion. Instead, I tell them about the car, and let them convince themselves. :)

3. bobc

bobc New Member

That's a great story!

GLad you had som much fun with both Dad and Mom!

Cheers,

4. Orsino

Orsino New Member

I carry a Prius brochure to work every day, and people keep looking it over. I also have the brochure of the hybrid Accord my wife drives, and one for the Insight I snagged when we last dropped by the Honda dealership.

I boast of 53 mpg, and at least one co-worker wants a Prius. All the guys in the office had to come look it over when it was brand new.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva\";p=\"81948)</div>
    Great story.

One thing though: the "status" of owning a Cadillac? My parents are Oldsters and even they would never be caught dead in a Cadillac. Their Buick suits them fine.

My folks happily ride in my Prius, they comment the Prius is just as roomy if not more so then their Buick. The only consistently negative thing I've heard from them is the ride quality. Let's face it, the Prius does have a stiff ride.

It's too bad the Prius doesn't have an adjustable suspension. I test drove a Lexus LX470 several years ago, and was impressed how I could dial in the exact ride I wanted: soft and floaty all the way to firm.