1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Evansville Indiana dealer attemped ripoff

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SMaster, Apr 30, 2012.

1. SMaster

SMaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Evansville Toyota wanted $430.00 to put headlight bulbs in our 2007 Prius we bought from them last fall. They said it was because they had to take from front bumper off and were quite rude and acted totally justified in charging such a high amout.

I paid for extended warrenty which they said didn't cover them plus it's still under the new car warrenty. What a shame!

Well, here's the real kicker. I changed both bulbs in twenty minutes and all I used was a screwdriver to lift the plastic pins!

Here's the other, after changing the bulbs they worked
    WAY better than they ever had. The bulbs were probably getting weak when we bought it!

Total cost? $44.00 from Amazon.com

hope this helps

2. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Extended warranties don't cover wear items such as bulbs, wiper blades, tires etc. Neither does the new car warranty.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I heard the same kind of story from a driver for a hybrid cab company in Charleston, SC.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The folks in Aichi decide how how many hours of a technician's time that they will pay the dealership for a covered repair. I'll save you the look-up time. As pointed out above, for headlamp bulbs....it's zero. Same thing for tires, brake pads, wiper blades, etc.
    These days...an extended warranty is a rip-off, since 99.something percent of cars on the road will operate normally for 100,000 miles without suffering a cataclysmic failure.
    In fact....most cars will go for 5/100 without the owner having to do much more than change filters and fluids, which is also not covered by either warranty.
    Manufacturer defects usually express themselves before you reach the end of the basic "bumper-to-bumper" warranty, and many OEMs have power train warranties that are good for........100,000 miles.

So...did the dealership try to rip you off? Probably. Either that or they're sadly lacking in the knowledge required to work on Priuses. I don't think that I'd use them for any repair that is covered by your warranty, nor would I use them for scheduled maintenance.
    I've seen lots of rants and raves about dealerships trying to pawn off "engine flush" and "HVAC cleaning" services to owners who are in for their XXXXX mile service.

There are some dealerships out there that are committed to establishing a good customer relationship and only selling the services that the customer actually needs, at a reasonable cost. Some others have mechanics and service managers who will be tempted to turn a quick profit off of a customer's lack of knowledge.

MY current strategy is to do self maintenance and repair to the extent that my limited knowledge (buttressed by the internet) will allow me to. After that, I use a mechanic that I trust, that I've also done some internet homework on.

Good Luck!
    You can always pop a flare over the dealership's owner and/or Toyota's Customer Care branch about this incident. Service Managers are a replaceable unit. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is all very very old news. Each bulb costs $150 MSRP. So two bulbs is $300. The repair manual prescribes removing the bumper and the headlights. That is at least an hour of labor, which is covered in the labor guide. If you go to a dealership, ANY dealership, this is what you should expect to pay. Blame Toyota for this mess, not individual dealers.

3 people like this.
  6. SMaster

SMaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I hear your, and the other comments above. I had already read what song and dance I was going to get before I took the car in for the failing lights. What I didn't understand mostly was how both could quit at the same time so I wasn't sure there wasn't another problem.

The lady that handing my my paper work when we picked up the car, then paged the service manager, seem all was normal. There's nothing NORMAL about charging $400+ dollars for headlight bulbs. The other reasons, justified or not, should have been explained in teh beginning instead of just rudly stating, "The whole front bumper had to come off and that's what we charge".

I still think the bulbs were on the way out when we purchased the car but it passed thier advertised GREAT inspection. They never seems right but after replacing them I can tell you they were NOT working correctly.

The NEW bulbs are FANTASTIC and the best lights I've ever had on any car!:)

This is the second low milage used car I've bought from them in 5 years but I'll probably shop around before dealing with that same service manager again.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think the above and http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...e-replacing-hid-headlights-2.html#post1250838 sums it up pretty well.

For me, after watching the videos I found thru various threads here including the ones from Luscious Garage, I thought I could do it in an hour or so (to change the passenger side bulb). Unfortunately, the metal clip popped off so the job turned into a multi-hour ordeal w/me eventually having to remove the front bumper cover since I couldn't get the washer tank out. :( I spoke to someone else recently who ran into the same problem w/the washer tank.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best with your new wheels SMASTER!

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    BTW. Are these the HID headlights or just the normal halogen ones that we're talking about here?

10. SMaster

SMaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    HID. It's the first ones I've had. These lights are amazing!

I'll have another set ready in case these cheap bulbs don't last. I can pull over on the side of the road and change one in 10 minutes.

I do like the car but think dealers try to rip people off. I've got some Corvette stories from dealers and are incredible ripoffs!

11. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is a great car, and I think you see the value in being an informed owner. Most of the dealer's strength in setting the price is the lack of alternatives for service. For example, these HID headlight bulbs, you can't just drive down to Pep Boys, pay $20 for a pair, and have them put in for free. And you also see the limited (asymptotically approaching zero) value in the pre-purchase inspection/certified pre-owned stuff.

A lot of times, their hands are tied by the high cost of replacement parts, such as the $178 12V battery. Do yourself a favor by never going to the dealer again.

1 person likes this.
  12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    LOL that applies 2x over here Seilerts. We bought our Prius s/h (toyota certified used vehicle) from the dealer. The car was immaculate, but they included a 3 year warranty with a "condition" that we had to have it serviced with them (couldn't even go to another Toyota dealership!). To me this kind of set off some alarm bells, like I thought they'd probably try and rip us off. First time we took it in (<50k miles and car in immaculate condition) and they charged $650.00 for a basic service.:eek: Needless to say we've never been back there again.

1 person likes this.
  13. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I once had your mindset about dealer ripoff. However you must shop dealers as you shop for parts. The day you need a OEM Toyota part and no one but the local dealer parts department has the inventory you may change your thinking IMHO

14. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, that may be true if you need the part immediately.

However if you can plan ahead and order parts for future consumption then there are several Toyota dealers that discount parts ~25% for web orders, for example toyotaworld.com

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, but to save money consolidate the order to offset the S&H.

My '04 Prius needs a windshield wiper nozzle replacement, so I bought it along with filters for the next two years from Toyotaworld. All in all I paid about 17% less than the local msrp prices, and of course the convenience of buying online cannot be beat. Time and fuel saved by avoiding the dealership was just icing on the cake.

16. unterhausen

unterhausen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my HID replacement turned into a multi-hour ordeal when I dropped something in the engine compartment. Had to go to work to get a boroscope, and even then it was a struggle. Of course, my experience with Toyota dealers is they'd just say "you don't need that part"