1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EVAP Fault & Leak

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dmb40, Mar 20, 2007.

1. dmb40

dmb40 New Member

I have a 2007 Prius. I dented the gas tank (off roading a bit) and got a few DTCs adn THE light stating that the tank EVAP Emission Control System Purge Flow Fault P0441 and EVAP Emission Control System Leak Large P0455. I cleared the codes thinking that I overpressurized the system as I dented the tank and had no problems for 500-1000 miles. THE light came on again after a large temp change overnight and once again this mornign after a large temp change with the same codes. My gas gauge works as it had and there are no punctures to the tank. The drivers side forward quarter of the tank is indented a bit. Any advice on what might be causing the DTC codes? I have a CAN OBDII scanner but no access to the expensive Toyota versions. Thanks!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yikes, this is NOT something I'd sit around waiting to 'see what happens'. If anything happens it will not be anything good. Maybe the tank needs to be checked, even if no leak it could be weakened by the damage. There are multiple sensors inside the tank that are involved with reporting the fuel level (it's complex b/c of the internal bladder) and one of those could be damaged kicking off your codes.

Still, and I know it'll be costly, I think you should have it checked out right away for your own and your passenger's safety.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here's a schematic of the 2006+ tank. Lots of things could have been damaged.

[attachmentid=6974]

Attached Files:

4. dmb40

dmb40 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Mar 20 2007, 05:06 PM) [snapback]409262[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you Bill. I think I am going to continue to wait and see. One day soon I am going to try to find the top of the tank via the rear seats and look for obvious damage if any. I may have popped a diaphram in a pressure sensor squirted some fuel into a vapor only valve. I do not think there is obvious mechanical damage as everything except the EVAP surge system is working well. THer are no leaks or smells or fumes etc... For all I know at this time a hose popped off the purge system!

I will post my results!