1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Evaporator hose chewed on by rodent, replace whole gas tank?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by pilvin123, May 5, 2012.

1. pilvin123

pilvin123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just was informed by my Toyota dealer the a critter has gnawed at the evaporator hose and causing it to leak. It is not covered by the warranty. I was told that the entire gas tank would have to be replaced, instead of just the short plastic hose. They quoted a price of $850. I think this is a major ripoff. I have never heard of any car that a hose could not be replaced. Nnyone ever had a problem like this ?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I edited your post to add a thread title, that's kind of important.

Also, you posted in the Prius c forum but since you have a 2011 it cannot be a c. Moving to the Gen III prius forums, maintenance section.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are a couple of hoses that are integrated to the fuel tank. If the hose was chewed before the junction, then the dealer does not really have an option other than selling you the tank.

Probably what needs to happen is that the tank needs to be dropped down a bit to create access, and then a new section of hose can be joined in. The problem is making a good tight seal at the joins, so that you don't come back in with small EVAP leak codes. Only an independent shop might be willing to do this -- most dealerships would not. You are still looking at a couple hundred bucks for labor though.

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Or pick up a used tank and have an indie swap it out.

5. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would have used duct tape. Someone else just had the same issue here last week.

6. schorert

schorert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    try "rescue tape" which is a silicone tape that almost behaves like heatshrink tubing once applied. Fuel resistant, it will create a permanent repair if you can get access to the damaged area.

http://www.rescuetape.com/

7. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Rescue tape is expensive. It is the same amount of work to splice in a new section of hose using male-male barrel vacuum fittings, as well as cheaper and professional-looking.

8. zebelkhan

zebelkhan Member in good standing

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Call your insurance company. This maybe covered under your comprehensive coverge.

9. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For a claim under $1k, I would not bother with a claim. Filing a claim for something like this will come back and bite you for many years.