1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ever completely freak anyone out during EV?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by J5A, Mar 10, 2011.

1. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Last night I pulled away from my parking spot in EV mode. Apparently the guy next to me putting groceries in his trunk totally flipped out and did several double takes :eek: :confused::eek::confused::eek: (I had been sitting in my car before he came outside).
    It was pure joy to see the jaw drop and the "what the heck was that?!?" look on his face. Priceless. :)

Ever experience this? It's so fun.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. The best one I've had is driving down a one-way street with a large pedestrian area (won't call it a sidewalk since it's rather wide on both sides of the street) with a sloping "curb". Given that the road has little traffic and a lot of pedestrians, I was keeping my eye out for pedestrians crossing. Most would see me and cross since I was rolling through quite slowly and I wouldn't have to brake cause they'll make it across in time.

Then there was this one young lady who was absent-minded and crossed fairly close to me. She got about 2 or 3 steps onto the road before she decided to look in my direction. She saw my car, yelled (in shock) and literally jumped out of the way. I've never seen anyone jump back as if they saw a ghost. Most would just back up or just run across. Maybe that will teach her to look before she crosses. I just smiled and continued on.

3. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Freaking people out is never going to go away. Doesn't matter whether you're driving a quiet car or not. There are those that will not even notice a freight train about to pass in front of them - and I'm not talking about only the iPod generation.

Yes, I have had people look in disbelief at my car moving from or into a parking lot not making any noise except the tires squishing along on the pavement. In a few years, no one will give it a second thought as 1/3 of the vehicles then will be nearly silent - as long as we all don't have gov't mandated noise makers installed. :rolleyes:

4. JeffyJosephNorCal

JeffyJosephNorCal Formerly JeffyJosephNCa

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had a similar event happen when I was visiting my aunt in LA. Since her apartment's garage is in the back, you have to drive through a narrow alley to get to it. I was driving my mom's Camry Hybrid at the time and while exiting the garage, there were 2 guys walking on the path, so I decide to slowly go behind them seeing if they would notice. It took awhile until one of the guys looked behind and said "Whoa! I didn't know you were there at all!", I replied "It's a hybrid!" and waved! :p

5. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We have a nice Italian resturant that has outside seating on the sidewalk next to the parking area. I pulled into a parking spot right next to a table where a couple were really enjoying the food and each other's company, the nose of the Prius was less than 2' from their table. When they finally looked up and saw the car, they nearly fell out of their seats.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I followed two girls in a parking lot, amazed how they could walk down the middle of the aisle completely oblivious to the Prius headlights.

I finally hung my head out saying, "Excuse me."

Needless to say, their realization that the request had come from a car sure stirred quite a reaction.

7. Prius 06

Prius 06 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I actually find I have more problems with people in the Prius when the ICE IS running then I do when it's in EV mode/engine off.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think I freaked myself out the most, when we first took a test drive, prior to purchase. At the end of the drive there was an up-grade going back into the lot. I was going slow, and it suddenly dawned on me: "hey, I'm going up a hill, on just the battery power".

Our previous 06 Civic Hybrid will slip into electric-only propulsion, but only under absolute ideal conditions: relatively low speed, level or downhill, and bare minimum gas pedal pressure.

9. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    People in parking lots walking down the middle often seem to not know I'm there but then they've always done that. Then I honk and I get a look like "Wow, I can't believe there's a car behind me in a parking lot!".

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The biggest freakout I've witnessed was not during EV. It was while the ICE was running in warmup, and a bit after blipping the horn.

While pulling through a national park, more than a dozen slowly ambling pedestrians were obstructing the entire width of the wide parking lot. After some period of oblivion, a blip of the horn caused the mass to slowly part, like Moses parting the Red Sea. But one woman, initially outside of my path and deeply absorbed in conversation, naturally gravitated towards the most open space, right in front of me. After about ten seconds, a companion alerted her to the car's presence. The visible shock was precious.

This is also part of my argument that artificial engine noise is not going to eliminate pedestrian problems. She didn't even hear the horn.

1 person likes this.
  11. Dubs

Dubs New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's the animals that scare me. Deer, dogs, cats, etc. I noticed they didn't move out of the way immediately with our 04. Our daughter complains about it in her 06. I'm sure my 2011 isn't going to be any different.

12. utgrad

utgrad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was riding with a friend in her Prius down a two lane park access road. We came upon two women walking with their backs to us on our side of the road in the grass, for no particular reason one of the women decides to start walking in the street without looking behind her, we have to slam on the brakes to keep from hitting her because there's oncoming traffic and she freaks and jumps out of the road, having no idea we were behind her until that moment. Some people just don't pay attention to their surroundings very well.

13. MariaEvri

MariaEvri Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sure. Its fun sometimes, but other times it gets annoying. People standing in front of your parking and not noticing you itching behind them trying to park