1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ever get that sharp pain in your chest?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by gge5, Feb 13, 2007.

1. gge5

gge5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I get a sharp pain in my chest between my rib cage and my lungs about once every 6 months. It comes on instantaneously, lasts between 1 and 5 minutes, and then goes away just as quickly (sometimes with a popping noise). I'm 23 now and I've had this happen since I was about 8.

Anyway, it happened again last night so I made a note to do some research this morning. It turns out it's a common affliction called "Precordial Catch Syndrome". A totally harmless 'painful inconvenience' that occurs mostly in teenagers, thought to be caused by a pinched nerve. I thought I'd share what I found here in case other people have experienced this but don't know what it is.

More helpful information about it here:
    http://www.failedsuccess.com/index.php?/we...ome_chest_pain/

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Never heard of it. But I have suffered with Restless Legs Syndrome for better than a decade and my doctors looked at me like I was crazy whenever I tried to get it treated. (I didn't know it had a name back then.) Finally I found a doctor who knew what it was, prescribed Requip, and soon after there were commercials everywhere.

Glad your condition isn't serious!

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    holy crap, i had that last night for the 500th time.

thanks! i never knew what it was.

and i'm 24 for the record.

4. gge5

gge5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Feb 13 2007, 02:46 PM) [snapback]389788[/snapback]</div>

I'm sure there are quite a few people here who have experienced and dismissed it. I hear that some cases can be quite frequent and severe though, not being able to breath fully for a half an hour or so without excruciating pain. Of course, when I first had one I didn't have access to the Internet and didn't want to go to the doctor to admit there was something wrong with me :mellow:

5. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I get this too. Good to know it's nothing bad. I always contributed it to lifting weights thinking maybe it was muscle tightness. It's a good sign that all of us PCers go to the doctor eh?

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    funny, i always thought it was something to do with physical activity too. i pushed myself a little harder than usual on the weights last night so i figured it was that. and it was probably a 15-20 min episode.

as far as doctors go, i avoid it. all i've got is the student health center and that's a mess.

7. liverbomb88@yahoo.com

[email protected] New Member

Chest pain, regardless of age, should not be taken lightly. Even though most of the time it is musculoskeletal, you don't want to ignore the pain "that's not quite right" because it could be your heart, a blood clot, a pneumothorax, etc. It's better to be safe than sorry (or dead).

8. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks, I've been getting this for years, just assumed it was one more of those phantom-type pains and that it was fairly harmless; but it's nice to read that it is. Mine lasts a very short time, and sometimes I can "pop" my sternum and it immediately disappears, so pinching, be it a nerve or something else, makes sense...

9. Anna Nicole

Anna Nicole New Member

I used to get those a lot, but they stopped happening last week.

I'd doublecheck with doc, even if it is one of those PriusChat doc opinions you get around here.