1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ever Talk To A Stubborn Pro-SUV'er?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by petsounds75, May 8, 2006.

1. petsounds75

petsounds75 New Member

On my 4th or 5th post, I decided to come in with a little bang with this topic.

You know darned well if they had a hybrid they wouldn't come to the defense of the "SUV Defender Brigade" that is still alive and well despite gas prices and many other factors.

You know the kind of people...they never grew up with an SUV and rode in a sedan when they were kids, but as soon as they have their own children they feel the burning urge to get an SUV.

Now I'm not talking Honda CR-V's and RAV4's. I'm talking BIGA*S FORDS.

Maybe you folks in the West or East of the US don't know what I mean.

But you Midwestern folks probably have family members like this.

2. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Apparently you haven't met "malorn". He stays in a cave here and is a diehard GM/SUV guy.

3. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, no matter how diplomatically you enter the conversation, and especially when a SUV person finds out you earn 55 to 60 mpg, they go off on a defensive and rationalizing tangent about safety, unlimited oil "we just need to find more," how air quality concerns are BS, their god-given right to drive what they want, when they want, how fast they want, regardless of community needs or limits. Logic cannot argue with emotion and dogma.

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pet Sounds 75 @ May 8 2006, 01:09 PM) [snapback]251535[/snapback]</div>
    Awe yeah!

Considering I've been on the brink of buying a big 'ole F250, or even 350 about 5 times over the last year, I have to say I'm really walking the line on this...

On the one hand, THEY shouldn't be allowed to effectively dictate what we drive... On the other, well, use less oil fight terrorism, blah, blah, blah, we all know the arguments.

I traded in my BIGA*S F150 Lariat for the Prius, and, admittedly, part of me has been kicking myself ever since. My primary problem is that although I can afford the $70 fill ups, I can no longer really justify owning one other than I simply like it. In my case, I'd rather spend 3-400/mo. eathing out, doing other stuff than just driving around in my personal tank.

5. ohgreys

ohgreys New Member

Well, we just ordered a Prius (trading in the Grand Am) and have no intention of getting rid of our Explorer. It's not what I consider a really big SUV but it does cost ~$50 to fill up. I'm sure that some people would pooh-pooh it but, with 4 greyhounds, we need a vehicle that size. When it comes time to replace it in 4 or 5 years, we will certainly consider any hybrid SUV that is in our price range.

6. stevedegraw

stevedegraw Member

Good topic. Straddling the fence on this one.

Sold one of my two Yukons and got my new 2006 black Prius three days ago. Still have one 2004 XL with a 31 gallon gas tank for the wife and kids. If you haven't owned a big SUV, they are convenient, addicting, provide a great view of the road ahead and are trouble free. We had zero problems with our American mosnster through 100 K miles. Makes me think that when the American cars companies wake up and copy the Prius or improve on it (better seats for old, heavier guys), they will be OK.

I think the mood of the big SUV owners is softening (i.e. try selling one these days). After you've had one a few years you realize that they don't really make sense in a lot of ways, especially for standard drving use. Although you can fit a longboard surf board in one. This weekend I showed up with my new black beauty at my daughter's volleyball tournament, slipped into a parking slot among the rows of the beasts and got some looks and comments. However, once they heard me talking glowingly of my new Prius they admitted they were also considering a change. But, as we know, actions speak louder than words.....

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know. I've never had an SUV but never really needed one anyway. We have no dogs to carry, no large family to shuttle and SUVs are like convertibles - they cost a lot more than their more useable counterpart (wagons in this case). The new RAV4 looks appealing. It's very roomy and has lots of cargo space (even under the floor!) but when I look at it, the Camry still is just as comfortable, has a large cargo area (16 cu. ft and we've used it to haul stuff around when we were moving) and stilll very efficient (6.7L/100km (35mpg US) typically on the highway)

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Here's one right now. We still have an SUV, and I plan on getting more. We need a big vehicle, and that's it. I refuse to give up my SUV.

It's practical, useful, roomy, and comfy.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ohgreys @ May 8 2006, 04:57 PM) [snapback]251700[/snapback]</div>
    Four greyhounds! Harness them to the Prius and get that mileage up to 70mpg. ;)

Tom

10. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Speaking of dogs, I have to pick up my dog from the vet tomorrow (had an ACL repair) and with the Prius I can take my kids OR take the dog. They all won't fit. So I'll be taking the SUV. That way I can take the kids AND the dog.

Ah, maybe I'll take the Prius, my son is three, he can watch himself and his little sister for a couple of hours!

Seriously though, I love my Prius, but when it comes to doing a lot of things, it's very limited. Witht he kids car seats inthe back, that's it. Not much room. I can barely fit two strollers back there.

With our Volvo, not only can we fit the kids and the strollers, but grandma and grandpa can come too!

The Prius is great. For my daily 120 mile commute, I wouldn't have any other car (well maybe a Ferrari F430...).

But on any other drive, I'd rather have my big SUV. It can't be beat!

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It costs me over $50 to fill the Lexus up, its all relative.

My question would by why get into this discussion/argument with SUV drivers anyways? You drive what you want, they drive what they want. Doesn't sound worth arguing about to me...

12. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ May 9 2006, 01:05 AM) [snapback]251991[/snapback]</div>
    And there you go. This is the right way of thinking!

13. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pet Sounds 75 @ May 8 2006, 01:09 PM) [snapback]251535[/snapback]</div>
    No, I don't like wasting my time. The people around here who drive SUVs are like smokers. That is, they know that what they're doing is a bad habit that they need to kick so I don't get much grief from them, if at all.

14. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Couldn't your dog fit in the passenger seat of the Prius? That way you could have to children seats in the back. I know my dog would kill for a ride in the passenger seat! Being fofced into the back seat is very demeaing to him ;-)

15. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ May 8 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]251681[/snapback]</div>
    You forgot the "Well, it's going to cost you at least $3,000 to replace your battery and I don't have to." comments.

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ May 9 2006, 01:05 AM) [snapback]251991[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly, freedom of choice.

17. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 9 2006, 12:26 PM) [snapback]252174[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like you guys get in to it with SUV drivers on a regular basis. :lol:

18. Thomas Brock

Thomas Brock New Member

I share an office with one of them SUVers...He drives an Xterra (which is a great vehicle!)

When I got the Prius, the first conversation went like this...

Him 'What if you need to drive over logs?'

Me 'I've never driven over a log before, why would I need to now?'

Him 'What if you need to tow a boat?'

Me 'I don't have a boat, don't plan on buying one and haven't towed one before.'

Him 'What if the battery dies?'

Me 'There's a warranty and there hasn't been any rampant battery or hybrid problems since the Prius was released.'

Him 'What if you're in an accident?'

Me 'A bubble of airbag goodness would surround me and my passengers.'

Him 'What if gas gets cheap again?'

Me 'Then I'll be paying $10 a tank for two and a half weeks instead of $20 a tank for two and a half weeks.'

Him 'GRUMBLE GRUMBLE'

:D

19. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

Personally I hate SUVs but not for "moral" reasons; the ones I've driven (Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota Land Cruiser) had very poor control, with loose steering, a general 'detached' feeling, and parking them makes me really nervous since the car is so large. I can understand why people like the high-up feeling, especially if they don't mind feeling disconnected from the road (and many people don't), but it's not my thing.

20. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ May 9 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]252157[/snapback]</div>
    No. First, he weighs 130 pounds. Second, I was picking him up from the vet, where he just had a cruciate ligmanet repair. He could not sit up in the passenger seat. He HAD to have a space to lie down. The Prius simply was too small.