1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Every company has a right to be wrong

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Dec 17, 2023.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When I was working, I changed employers (i.e., fired their *ss), when I realized they were headed in the wrong direction:
    • COMNET - on second doubling, hired 'experienced' managers from the losers.
    • General Electric - wasted their R&D on area where we had NO expertise.
    • Boeing - separated our group as an independent business losing synergy needed by both companies.
    • SAIC - after founder 'retired', traditional MBA management took us from employee owned to public.
    • CSC - hire the incompetent and piss off the rest.
    In each case, I sold my stock before 'reality hit' and made a nice profit. So that is what Google is doing to YouTube. They have made YouTube into the equivalent of "Home Shopping Network" with today, more inappropriate advertising than content. The final straw, "Warthog Defense" channel was suddenly deleted for bogus reasons.

I own no stock in Google and am less inclined today. The quality of their service which is spreading to their search engine makes me less interested in their services. So I'll have to seek the content I want elsewhere.

Bob Wilson

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i still use youtube as needed, and google search, which seems to work okay.
    what search engine do you use?
    i still don't see apple or bing maps and directions being as good.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Used Firefox for browser for years. Even have their Focus on the phone.
    Default search engine at work is Duck Duck Go. Will likely switch to it at home.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not able to make sense of the point you're trying to make here? Clearly you don't work at youtube? And you're saying you worked at all those other places? With that level of job jumping, there's clearly another side to these stories and it wasn't just you realizing they were heading in the wrong direction.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just bemoaning rookie mistakes that seek a short-term win but alienate their long term customers. For example, Microsoft office releases at work usually meant all of the defaults were scrambled wasting my time for a day or two trying to figure out how to keep working on my projects. "Eye Candy" does not make an engineering presentation.

Bob Wilson

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's a special place in hell for GUI designers... Their ability to "redesign" software so the buttons you click on the screen are no longer in the same place is the same kind of cruelty as moving all the furniture around in a home full of blind people because you think it looks better that way.

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Changing a user interface is an insult to your long-time customers. Every time I have to shop at our local big box store, The items that are on my list have moved and my 10 minute visit become a half hour of frustration. The "management" believes that forcing me to search for my listed items will get me to buy some items not on my list. Not only are they wrong, but in my case I come to their business less often.

JeffD

bwilson4web likes this.
  8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea, it's infuriating that employees re-organize stuff to benefit their needs rather than considering the customer/user needs. But for some reason it happens way more often than it should.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That level of job hopping is very minor compared to what is happening today. Boeing has long been a cyclic hire/fire operation. Many big old-line companies that used to be good, now treat most employees as interchangeable resource units. And also try (or tried) to reduce direct employee headcount and farm most of the work out to various contractors, changing up the mix frequently. Other companies buy/sell/trade/merge/spin-off business units as if they were playing card games. One employee (e.g. one of my relatives) can stay at the same facility their entire working career (if successful in dodging multiple rounds of mass layoffs) and yet end up with a handful of different employers and (continually less valuable) pension plans, being extremely lucky if someone in the chain didn't entirely cease offering a pension.

... and these were happening well before the gig workforce really cranked up to today's level.

Based on several of the corporate names Bob lists, I'm not the least bit surprised with his number of job changes.