1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Every now and then ...

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Nov 12, 2021.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've had too much chemistry, high school and college, to be impressed. Source:
    Chemists discover new way to harness energy from ammonia

A research team at the University of Wisconsin-Madison has identified a new way to convert ammonia to nitrogen gas through a process that could be a step toward ammonia replacing carbon-based fuels.
    . . .

I've been and remain an advocate for anhydrous ammonia as a fuel source. Buy this article suggests an optimism not on my list.

Bob Wilson

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What becomes of the hydrogen? Is it getting consumed by the catalyst?

Yeah, no real details to get excited about. It might turn into something that makes hydrogen fuels viable. Small enough, you can have onboard reformation of ammonia for cars.

Rmay635703 likes this.
  3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Whenever they say they're going to use water, my eyes glaze over, and I remember the billboard sign that says we are in a severe drought, at least here in Southern California....

REVVL V+ 5G ?

4. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Need hydrogen for ammonia. If it doesn't come from water, it will likely come from a fossil fuel.

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Right, I know NH3. But I like conserving water more than fossil fuels, because I can ultimately buy a Tesla, ID.4, Polestar, Leaf, Bolt, etc to get around, but no good answer to producing more H2O. (There are desalination plants around the beaches that I've seen, don't honestly know much about them I confess)...

REVVL V+ 5G ?

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The main use of ammonia is fertilizer. We need it to feed people.

It's possible to get the required hydrogen from a biomass, but the more complex the compounds, the higher the cost of doing so. That's why natural gas is used over coal now. Then even using fossil fuels for hydrogen uses water; the process is steam reformation, and some of the hydrogen came from the water.

Any fossil fuel use will lead to carbon emissions.

7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, ammonia is an excellent fertilizer, nitrogen fixation specifically, (although I forgot what that's about).

As a Bio major one class taught me the "rule of 3s". (Let's ignore for a moment how long Tom Cruise held his breath for one of the Mission Impossible movies.)

The human body can survive:
    3 minutes without oxygen
    3 days without water
    3 weeks without food

Even my 86 year old mother has some strange fixation on the importance of eating food. Her BUN is abnormal, (my wife says it is a sign of not drinking enough water), but she still gets mad at me whenever I try to ask her to drink more water. (She is a retired pediatrician).

From the rule of 3s water is a lot more important to me than food...

REVVL V+ 5G ?

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    We could have a nitrogen fixation thread. Some interesting tidbits would come up.