1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Everyone Has ‘Car Brain’

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Trollbait, Jul 7, 2023.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "Francis Curzon, born in 1884 and later named the fifth Earl Howe, loved a souped-up Bugatti. And he loved to drive fast. He was famous for his “great skill and daring” on the racetrack, and also, eventually, for crashing into pedestrians—knocking down a boy in Belfast, Northern Ireland; slamming into a horse-drawn cart and killing a peasant in Pesaro, Italy.

These incidents (and 10 more) were recounted in a 1947 polemic by J. S. Dean, chair of the Pedestrians’ Association in England. Dean took particular issue with an assertion the earl had once made that the “recklessness” of pedestrians was the main safety problem on Britain’s roads. People who drive cars, Dean pointed out, do consider themselves to be “pedestrians” in other situations—that is, when they themselves are walking—and they agree that safety laws are important. Still, no matter what they may say, they continue to do whatever they want. Dean asked: “What are we to do with these people with their split minds?”

If the term had been available to him, he might have used the pejorative car brain to describe the conundrum he was observing... Reason is failing in the face of the majestic automobile. People make excuses for cars and remain devoted to them, despite the incontrovertible evidence that they’re extremely dangerous.
    The strangeness of “car brain” will persist well into the future. Driving is dangerous. Driving is terrifying. Still, I want to be going 80 miles an hour through a desert. I want to turn a radio dial! I want to keep personal items in a glove compartment and hit the open road with a huge fountain soda. (Can I have next week off?) I’m lucky to be healthy and young—if suddenly I were to die, it’s statistically most likely that it would be because I was in a car crash. I know this. My car brain doesn’t."

Everyone Has ‘Car Brain’ - The Atlantic

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    meh.
    Humans will likely have a 100-percent mortality rate, even in a dark future where individuals would be arrested for the crime of attmepting to operate their privately owned conveyance.

Before cars, it was horse-drawn carriages. (Ask Marie Curie.)
    Trains were notoriously dangerous before they were supplanted by automobiles. Train travel was quite safe in the first half century of the 1800s because they didn't go very fast and there weren't many miles of track laid down. But train wrecks were shockingly common in the last half of the 1800s.
    Ships and aircraft also went through turbulent periods of safety development.

Circle of life.

My thinking is that cars will continue to be MORE safe even while drivers become less so....or at least that's what people who juggle the numbers will tell us.

Even NOW we have a dizzying number of safety devices that are too numerous to name AND more and more active safety devices are being added at an increasingly accelerated pace - all developed by the same thing:
    Human Blood.

3. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cars provide convenience. It’s reassuring knowing that I can get roughly anywhere in the greater metropolitan area in under an hour from where I live at any time, rather than needing to walk for potentially several hours or even take public transportation that is only available during certain times and takes double or triple the time it would take in my own car.

Yes, cars are dangerous. And they are more expensive than walking or local public transit. But that convenience factor is huge. When my catalytic converter got stolen in 2020, I figured out a cost comparison between having a car and only using public transit. And for me, the loss of opportunity cost from not having a car was greater than the extra cost of car ownership over public transit.

There are plenty of people who advocate for pedestrian friendly cities, where people don’t need cars. But I don’t live in one of those, and until I do, it’s more worthwhile to have a car than to go with another option.

All this does not mean I have anything against pedestrians. But in cities that are currently designed with cars in mind, driving a car is going to be the easiest and most common way to get from place to place.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks for the example.

Yes, cars are convenient. That also happens to be a reason why many people rationalize away the downsides. Which leads to them working against expansion of public transit and walking cities. That takes effort, while staying with dirty, space hogging machines that can easily maim and kill is easy.

Occur that this is a companion piece, How Paris Kicked Out the Cars | PriusChat

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's great for city slickers - and, being a libertarian, I'm content to let cities city.

For the minority (?) of folks who live in what is increasingly derided as 'flyover' country, cars seem to have fewer downsides.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the invention of the automobile was a deal with the devil. we are attracted to them from the moment we come out of the womb. especially males.
    the solution is beyond our grasp. even elon musk recognizes this (and he's made more than a few deals)

7. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've lived in places with great public transport - urban Hong Kong (but not rural Hong Kong), Central Shanghai and Central London - where a car was more trouble than it was worth, so I didn't bother having one. Public transport was quicker and easier than driving.

But it doesn't take a lot to tip the situation into one where a car is useful, Where I lived in rural Hong Kong was a 30-minute drive from the centre of town. I'd commute by public transport for work, but we did need a car for things like grocery shopping. However, this was 15 years ago. These days, with online supermarkets, a car might be less necessary.

In Sydney, we live close to the centre of the city, and I use public transport for going to the city centre. But we have a very wheel-spoke-shaped public transport system: if I'm going anywhere other than the centre of the city, it's easier to drive.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Our daughter and son in law live in Manhattan. No car in the city, but they have one stashed for trips,
    In my experience, the younger generations don’t seem as enamored with owning a car as their predecessors